Cybersecurity Essentials Bootcamp is a 4-day instructor-led course packed full of hands-on labs and practical exercies, which teach the effective steps to prevent, detect and respond to a cyber incident. With actionable techniques acquired within the course that can directly apply, making a genuine difference in the workplace. Each module is packed with extensive hands-on exercises that covers leading edge skills, applied knolwedge of best practice preventative tooling, in addition to the existing threat landscape of emerging technologies such as: Internet of Things, Cloud, Smart Cities, Connected and Autonomous Vehicles and Cryptocurrency and blockchain.
This course is designed for IT and Security Professionals and Managers who want to understand the essentails of cybersecurity and current threat landscape. Perfect for those whishing to build and or pivot to a defensive security posture, for those charged with maintaining and defending against cyber attacks. This course will be of benefit to junior and mid level cyber roles, who are interested in Security Operations, Forensic Analysis, GRC Officers, Security Auditors and Secure Developers, all with a passion to be as effective as possible in thier security discipline.
- Basic knowledge of networking is desirable but not essential, particularly awareness of protocols and internet services.
- Basic knowledge of Windows and Linux operating systems is desirable but not essential.
- QACISMP and or QAFCCS are ideal prerequisite courses for those completely new to applied technical security concepts, tools and services.
- Understand the threats faced by modern networks, systems and application platforms
- Understand the techniques used to detect, prevent and respond to these threats
- Build enablement solutions for detection and situational awareness
- Respond, contain and start hunting out known and unknown threats
- Use leading ‘open source’ security tools to serve active and passive defence techniques
- Discover and analyse ‘high risk’ weakness within systems
- Create an actionable and auditable policies
- Understand cryptography and its applications in a digital world
- Begin to analyse, attribute and predict the threats and create an active defence posture
Critical Security Control
- Introduction to Cybersecurity
- Social Engineering and Malware
- Defence in Depth and Security Controls
- Security Tools
- Incident Management
- Lab 1: Intelligence Gathering
- Lab 2: Using a Forensic Tool to Investigate a Data Leak
- Lab 3: Mapping the Attack Surface
Modern Network Architecture
- Network Security Tools
- Wireless Security
- Physical Security Controls
- Secure Protocols and Services
- Secure System and Network Design
- Secure Cloud Services and Virtualisation
- Lab 4: Introduction to Network Analysis with Wireshark
- Lab 5: Windows Security
- Lab 6: Securing a Web Server
- Lab 7: Auditing Compliance in Linux Using Lynis
- Lab 8: Security within the Internet of Things
- Lab 9: Investigating Security in the Cloud
Principles of Risk
- Business Continuity
- Risk Management
- Vulnerability Scanning and Penetration Test
- Corporate Security Policies
- Forensic Collection and Preservation
- Lab 10: Using MITRE ATT&CK for Threat Hunting
- Lab 11: Digital Forensics Tools
- Lab 12: Scanning a Web Server for Vulnerabilities
Operation System & Application Security
- Application Exploits
- Web Server Exploits
- Web Browser Exploits
- Secure Application Design
- Secure Coding
- Auditing Applications
- Lab 13: Performing SQL Injection on a Vulnerable Web Server
- Lab 14: Exploiting a Vulnerable Web Server
- Cryptography Application
- Identity and Access Management
- Cryptocurrency and Blockchain
- Lab 15: Setting Password Security Baselines on Windows
- Lab 16: Auditing Security Baselines on Windows
- Lab 17: Investigating Cryptocurrency Using OSINT (Part 1)
- Lab 18: Investigating cryptocurrency Using OSINT (Part 2)
Cyber Security learning paths
Want to boost your career in cyber security? Click on the roles below to see QA's learning pathways, specially designed to give you the skills to succeed.
Cyber Defensive Operations learning paths
Want to boost your career in Cyber Defensive Operations? View QA's learning pathways below, specially designed to give you the skills to succeed.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.