Why choose our Cyber Security Engineer Level 4 apprenticeship?
The Cyber Security Engineer apprentice can help to design, build and test secure networks, security products or systems to help protect your organisation against cyber threats.
QA is a market leader in cyber security training, with a state-of-the-art immersive cyber gamified learning, giving apprentices a hands-on learning experience in simulating a real cyber threat.
QA's exclusive partnership with Circadence Corporation, the pioneer of the hands-on gamified learning platform Project Ares®, allows us to uniquely incorporate hands-on scenario training into our cyber security apprenticeships. The Project Ares platform offers a totally immersive experience, using automated features to support skills adoption with an in-game advisor, Athena, who advises our players through scenario-based challenges. The platform scenarios replicate the unpredictability and escalating levels of complexity that cyberattacks can present. It drives high levels of engagement through leaderboards and badges, elements used widely in the gaming world.
QA’s Cyber Security Engineer Level 4 apprenticeship programme enables the apprentice to:
- Develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills in a safe, but realistic environment
- Apply all of the acquired skills throughout the programme, with added scoring of players and opponent actions with replay for object assessment
- Take part in hands-on training and active-learning models that increase retention rates by 75% so that cyber apprentices can prepare for real-world challenges
Tools and technologies learned
Apprentices will learn to use Project Ares, Python, Microsoft Azure, Microsoft PowerShell, Linux and AWS.
Why choose QA
Tech careers started or enhanced through apprenticeships
Success rate for learners on a QA apprenticeship
Response time to learner queries
Under 24 hours
Feedback provided on learner submissions
Applicants apply to our apprenticeship programmes every year
Highest overall pass rate
Among UK tech training providers
Best Use of Blended Learning at the Learning Tech Awards 2020
Committed to social mobility, diversity and inclusion
Key partners include Barnardo's, Stemettes and Code First Girls
The Cyber Security Engineer Level 4 programme
Learners benefit from a flexible and blended learning journey, using real-life scenarios so they gaining valuable workplace skills faster. Here is the timeline with modules of the 18-month Cyber Security Engineer Level 4 programme: Introduction to Cyber Security, Networking Fundamentals, Operating Systems, Security Foundations, Security Management, Active Defence, Cloud Security, Programming and Scripting, and Threat Analysis.
The entry requirements for this programme are as follows:
- An A-Level in ICT
- OR an International Baccalaureate at Level 3 in ICT
- OR a Level 3 apprenticeship in a similar subject
- OR a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT (180 credits)
*Please see the programme guide for full entry requirements.
Possible job roles for a Cyber Security Engineer apprentice
This programme is suitable for multiple roles, such as:
Cyber Security Engineer, Cyber Security Consultant, Cyber Security Analyst, Cyber Security Specialist, IT Security Technician and Embedded Engineer.
Skills a Cyber Security Engineer needs:
- Strong analytical skills
- A methodical, step-by-step approach to resolving issues
- Business skills like effective communication, teamwork and task/time management
- The adaptability to do a range of work – sometimes complex and non-routine – in different environments
- The ability to work under direction, use discretion and determine when to escalate issues.