Updated for 2022 - ISO/IEC 27001 Lead Auditor training enables you to develop the necessary expertise to perform an Information Security Management System (ISMS) audit by applying widely recognized audit principles, procedures and techniques. During this training course, you will acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to plan and carry out internal and external audits in compliance with ISO 19011 and ISO/IEC 17021-1 certification process. Based on practical exercises, you will be able to master audit techniques and become competent to manage an audit program, audit team, communication with customers, and conflict resolution.
After acquiring the necessary expertise to perform this audit, you can sit for the exam and apply for a “PECB Certified ISO/IEC 27001 Lead Auditor” credential. By holding a PECB Lead Auditor Certificate, you will demonstrate that you have the capabilities and competencies to audit organizations based on best practices.
- Auditors seeking to perform and lead Information Security Management System (ISMS) certification audits
- Managers or consultants seeking to master an Information Security Management System audit process
- Individuals responsible for maintaining conformance with Information Security Management System requirements
- Technical experts seeking to prepare for an Information Security Management System audit
- Expert advisors in Information Security Management
A fundamental understanding of ISO/IEC 27001 and comprehensive knowledge of audit principles.
- Understand the operations of an Information Security Management System based on ISO/IEC 27001
- Acknowledge the correlation between ISO/IEC 27001, ISO/IEC 27002 and other standards and regulatory frameworks
- Understand an auditor’s role to: plan, lead and follow-up on a management system audit in accordance with ISO 19011
- Learn how to lead an audit and audit team
- Learn how to interpret the requirements of ISO/IEC 27001 in the context of an ISMS audit
- Acquire the competencies of an auditor to: plan an audit, lead an audit, draft reports, and follow-up on an audit in compliance with ISO 19011
Day 1 Introduction to Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) and ISO/IEC 27001
- Course objectives and structure
- Standards and regulatory frameworks
- Certification process
- Fundamental principles of Information Security
- Management Systems
- Information Security Management Systems (ISMS)
Day 2 Audit principles, preparation and launching of an audit
- Fundamental audit concepts and principles
- Evidence based audit approach
- Initiating the audit
- Stage 1 audit
- Preparing the stage 2 audit (on-site audit)
- Stage 2 audit (Part 1)
Day 3 On-site audit activities
- Stage 2 audit (Part 2)
- Communication during the audit
- Audit procedures
- Creating audit test plans
- Drafting audit findings and non-conformity reports
Day 4 Closing the audit
- Documentation of the audit and the audit quality review
- Closing the audit
- Evaluating action plans by the auditor
- Benefits of the initial audit
- Managing an internal audit program
- Competence and evaluation of auditors
- Closing the training
Remote PECB Proctored Exam
Results will be communicated by email in a period of 6 to 8 weeks, after taking the exam. The results will not include the exact grade of the candidate, only a mention of pass or fail. Candidates who successfully complete the examination will be able to apply for a certified scheme which is explained in the course description. In the case of a failure, the results will be accompanied with the list of domains in which the candidate had failed to provide guidance for exams’ retake preparation. Candidates, who disagree with the exam results, may file a complaint by writing to email@example.com or through PECB ticketing system.
The “PECB Certified ISO/IEC 27001 Lead Auditor” remote proctored exam fully meets the requirements of the PECB Examination and Certification Programme (ECP). The remote proctored exam covers the following competency domains:
- Domain 1 Fundamental principles and concepts of an Information Security Management System (ISMS)
- Domain 2 Information Security Management System (ISMS)
- Domain 3 Fundamental audit concepts and principles
- Domain 4 Preparation of an ISO/IEC 27001 audit
- Domain 5 Conducting an ISO/IEC 27001 audit
- Domain 6 Closing an ISO/IEC 27001 audit
- Domain 7 Managing an ISO/IEC 27001 audit program
Cyber Security learning paths
Want to boost your career in cyber security? Click on the roles below to see QA's learning pathways, specially designed to give you the skills to succeed.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.