This two-day foundation course, updated for 2023, will provide a practical guide to Data Protection (GDPR) & Privacy Legislation, Information Governance and Data Protection (GDPR) implementation.
Data protection law requires, the appointment of a Data Protection Officer (DPO) for some controllers and processors, including those in the public sector. The obligations for this challenging role will require insight into threats and risks to personal data, data breach management, data protection by design and default principles, privacy compliance and the legal spectrum of the GDPR.
This course is suitable for data protection officers, HR Professionals, compliance officers, auditors, IT & security Professionals requiring a sound knowledge of the key elements of the data protection law. There is no exam in the two-day course, those wishing to embrace the challenge of the independent exam will need to take the follow-on three-day Data Protection (GDPR) Practitioner course (QACDPP). Alternatively learners can choose the full 5 day Certified Data Protection Foundation and Practitioner (QACGDPRP).
This Data Protection Foundation (GDPR) course is primarily aimed at professionals working with IT, Risk, Security, Governance and Compliance roles across public and private sectors. It is also aimed at Human Resources and Marketing Professionals, Product Owners, Business Analysts and Project Managers. It is also the recommended prerequisite for the Data Protection Practitioner (GDPR) course.
Delegates will learn how to
- Have a good understanding of data protection principles.
- Understand why privacy is important and how it relates to data protection.
- Have an in-depth understanding and knowledge of the GDPR / UK GDPR.
- Identify advantages of embracing data protection.
- Be able to locate important articles and recitals when necessary.
- The role of the data Protection Officer (DPO) and their obligations.
- The key differences between the Data Protection Act 1998 and the GDPR.
- The changing rights of data subjects, consent, data in the cloud and third parties.
- The enforcement aspects of the GDPR to your organisation.
- Have an in-depth understanding and knowledge of GDPR (UK & EU) and related legislation
- Demonstrate in-depth understanding of the data protection principles and individual data subject rights and when and how they apply at an operational level
- Understand why privacy is important and how it relates to data protection in the business environment
- Understand international transfers, including EU-US data privacy framework
- Be able to understand the role of the Data Protection Officer, if you need one and how they help your business achieve compliance
- Module 1: Introduction to data protection & privacy
- Module 2: Data Protection (GDPR) Fundamentals & principles
- Module 3: Data Protection (GDPR) Rights of the data subject
- Module 4: Data Protection (GDPR) Controllers & Processors
- Module 5: Data Protection (GDPR) International Transfers
- Module 6: Data Protection (GDPR) Remedies, liabilities & penalties
- Module 7: Data Protection (GDPR) Supervisory authorities, co-operation, specific situations
- Module 8: Summary of changes
- Module 9: Business Advantages of embracing Data Protection
Cyber Security learning paths
Want to boost your career in cyber security? Click on the roles below to see QA's learning pathways, specially designed to give you the skills to succeed.
Privacy Professional learning path
Want to boost your career as a Privacy Professional? View QA's learning pathway below, specially designed to give you the skills to succeed.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.