The ISTQB® Certified Tester Foundation Level (CTFL) certification is the cornerstone of essential testing knowledge that can be applied to real-world scenarios. The syllabus provides a comprehensive understanding of the terminology and concepts used in the testing domain worldwide, making it relevant for all software delivery approaches and practices, including Waterfall, Agile, DevOps, and Continuous Delivery. CTFL certification is recognised as a prerequisite to all other ISTQB® certifications where Foundation Level is required.
The course requires no prerequisites to attend, however the CTFL 4.0 certification is suitable for anyone who needs to demonstrate practical knowledge of the fundamental concepts of software testing.
Delegates will learn how to
The Learning Outcomes expected of a candidate who has achieved the new Foundation Level certification are as follows:
- Understand what testing is and why it is beneficial.
- Understand fundamental concepts of software testing.
- Identify the test approach and activities to be implemented depending on the context of testing.
- Assess and improve the quality of documentation.
- Increase the effectiveness and efficiency of testing.
- Align the test process with the software development lifecycle.
- Understand test management principles.
- Write and communicate clear and understandable defect reports.
- Understand the factors that influence the priorities and efforts related to testing.
- Work as part of a cross-functional team
- Know risks and benefits related to test automation.
- Identify essential skills required for testing.
- Understand the impact of risk on testing.
- Effectively report on test progress and quality
This syllabus forms the basis for the International Software Testing Qualification at the Foundation Level.
Its content is not a description of the entire knowledge area of software testing.
- The examination consists of a one-hour exam with 40 multiple choice questions.
- It will be a 'closed book' examination i.e. no notes or books will be allowed.
- Duration of 60 minutes (or 75 minutes for candidates taking examinations that are not in their native language)
- No study material or electronic devices (including mobile phones) may be used during the examination Candidates are allowed to use simple non-programmable calculators (to be provided by the candidate)
- An official translation of terms (not their definitions) from the ISTQB® Glossary to the local language is allowed. Candidates taking exams that are not in their native language may use a paper-based translation dictionary.
- The pass mark is 65% (26 out of 40).
Holders of this certification will be eligible to proceed to the next stage of the Core stream and take Test Analyst, Technical Test Analyst, or Test Management Advanced Level certifications. They may also choose to follow the Agile or Specialist streams to develop specific skills.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.