The Foundation Certificate in Digital Solution Development is an introductory level qualification intended to give a broad coverage of the many topics affecting Digital Solution Development (DSD) in a modern enterprise setting.
The syllabus seeks to:
- Lay the foundation for a Body of Knowledge concerning DSD, and therefore includes a broad range of themes/topics, roles, best practices, techniques and methods that are widely recognised and employed by practitioners in this field.
- Cover topics in the development space between Business Analysis and the coding environment.
- Be product, technology and platform agnostic as far as possible.
The syllabus emphasises activities in the development part of a digital service lifecycle, with links to the other parts, as appropriate.
The BCS Foundation Certificate in Digital Solution Development is primarily targeted at the following groups:
1) People within roles other than software development who wish to gain a broad understanding of the terminology, concepts, techniques, standards, frameworks and processes involved in the development of modern digital software applications.
2) Developers with entry level coding experience who wish to widen their horizons, preparing themselves for a Solution Architect role.
3) Experienced practitioners involved in the maintenance of legacy software solutions who wish to refresh their understanding of the terminology, concepts, techniques, standards, frameworks and processes involved in the development of modern digital software applications.
4) Graduates in a non-IT discipline who are seeking to work in a consulting capacity.
It is anticipated that this certification will appeal to individuals undertaking a range of job roles including, but not limited to:
software developer / software engineer, software tester, business analyst, systems analyst, solution architect, product owner, Scrum master, systems development manager, IT service delivery manager.
None, however please read the special notice section for details on the syllabus and syllabus guidance.
The course prepares candidates for the examination to qualify for the BCS Foundation Certificate in Digital Solution Development.
The examination is based on the topics published in the syllabus and the accompanying guidance document. SFIA Levels 1/2.
Candidates will be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of terminology, concepts, techniques, standards, frameworks and processes in the following areas:
1. The context for digital solution development.
2. Digital service definition.
3. User Experience (UX) and User Interface (UI).
4. Digital solution architecture and design.
5. Data and information architecture and design.
6. Quality assurance and quality control.
7. Digital Solution acquisition, deployment and maintenance.
8. Cyber security.
Introductory Module: Course Introduction
Module 1: The context for digital solution development.
Module 2: Digital service definition and requirements engineering.
Module 3: User Experience (UX) and User Interface (UI).
Module 4: Digital solution architecture and design.
Module 5: Data and information architecture and design.
Module 6: Quality assurance and quality control, including Testing
Module 7: Digital Solution acquisition, deployment and maintenance.
Module 8: Cyber security.
BCS Mock Examination
Note: the examination itself is taken on-line through the BCS exam provider, and is not taken as part of the course.
Delegates will be signed up to take the examination by BCS/QA and may arrange to take the exam on-line at their convenience after the course.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.