Excellent Service Desk support is vital to ensure a company consistently delivers the required IT service levels. The responsibilities of the support analyst are many and they evolve constantly, so a diverse skill-set is required to meet the challenging demands placed on them.
The course also looks at support methodologies and technologies and the tools utilised within the Service Desk. It reviews issues such as Service Level Agreements, the benefits and pitfalls and the importance of metrics; the implementation of service management processes and effective problem solving techniques that a Service Desk Analyst can utilise. It is based upon the standards and objectives for SDI™'s Service Desk Analyst qualification and ensures that delegates are provided with the knowledge, information and tools to take the SDA exam.
1st line IT support, Helpdesk/Service Desk and support analysts with at least 9 months experience in an IT service and support environment.
There are no formal prerequisites for this course.
At the end of this course you will have:
- essential skills and competencies to deliver efficient and effective support in the Service Desk environment
- practical knowledge of how to use these skills to deal effectively with a variety of situations
- a clear understanding of how to identify customer needs and motivations, and how to handle difficult situations
- understand the importance of teamwork in the support environment
- a thorough grounding in the skills, competencies, responsibilities and knowledge required of a professional and effective Service Desk analyst
Roles and Responsibilities
- To identify and understand the role and responsibilities of the professional Service Desk Analyst
- To identify and understand the role and responsibilities of the Service Desk
- To determine the attributes, skills and knowledge of a successful Service Desk Analyst
- To develop an understanding of Relationship Management from the Service Desk perspective
- To identify and agree the key requirements for delivering customer satisfaction
- To identify and understand the principles of effective communication in customer support
- To understand the differences between face to face, telephone and written communication
- To identify ways to enable us to communicate more effectively
- To understand how our attitude and approach can influence and affect others
Customer Service Skills and Competencies
- To understand how to ask questions skilfully
- To determine the importance of good listening skills
- To understand the importance of customer service skills in the IT environment
Determine the importance of effective cross-cultural communication
- To understand that assertiveness and confidence are necessary qualities for the SDA
- To determine methods of dealing with conflict
- To determine the causes, symptoms and ways to manage stress
The Service Desk Environment
- Examine issues, both internal and external, that can affect our motivation
- Understand the importance and relevance of ethics within the workplace
- Determine the importance and benefits of effective teamwork
- To understand the ITSM processes most closely linked to the Service Desk
- To identify the responsibilities the Service Desk has within those processes
- To understand the importance of effective incident, problem, change, escalation and asset management processes
Managing, Meeting and Maintaining Service Levels
- Determine the value and benefits of Service Level Agreements
- Determine the need for and benefits of metrics and objectives within the support environment
- Understand the importance of effective Customer Satisfaction surveys
- To determine the steps taken during the problem solving process
- To understand the benefits of using a creative problem solving approach
- To identify techniques for creative problem solving
- To practice some problem solving techniques
Tools and Technologies used in Customer Support
- Develop a clear understanding of the support tools and technologies available to Service Desk Analysts
- To understand and use the terminology of the support industry
- Determine the benefits of the tools and technologies we use
- To determine methods for implementing Self-Help and Self Service for end-users
Holders become qualified 'SDI™ - Service Desk Analyst'
The examination is taken during the course at 2.30 at the end of the final day. The format of this is 60 multiple choice questions to be answered in one hour. The pass mark is 65%. A mark of 87.5% achieves a higher mastery pass.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.