Being an effective Service Desk Manager requires a broad range of talents, from people-oriented abilities and an awareness of logistics to financial acumen and presentation skills. This course provides a thorough understanding of, and qualification in, Service Desk management. The course also looks at the management of support methodologies and technologies and the tools utilised within the Service Desk.
It reviews issues such as Service Level Agreements, the benefits and pitfalls and the importance of metrics; the implementation of service management processes and effective problem solving techniques that a Service Desk Manager can utilise. The course is based upon the standards and objectives for SDI™'s Service Desk Manager qualification and ensures that delegates are provided with the knowledge, information and tools to take the SDM exam.
The course is designed for both new and experienced Service Desk Managers, team leaders and supervisors. Between 3 and 5 years experience of the Service Desk environment is ideal.
It is strongly recommended that delegates have more than 3 years experience within the Service Desk environment before attending this event.
By the end of this course you will:
- gain a thorough grounding in the skills required to build, lead, motivate and manage a Service Desk team
- get a guide to the practical Service Desk management tools, tips, standards and support
- gain an overview of industry recognised IT Service Management best practices, including ITIL processes
- achieve an internationally recognised Service Desk Management qualification
Building the Right Conceptual Model
- Understand the role of support within the context of the organisations overall mission and strategic business goals
- Determine the design and set-up of a successful support organisation based on proven strategies and known best practices
- Develop a clear understanding of the elements that must be present for establishment of a successful Service Desk
- Understand the importance of business and IT integration
- Develop strategies aligned to organizational objectives that are designed to take advantage of business opportunities
- Understand the importance and need for goals and objectives
- Understand the importance of ensuring all staff are aware of the role they play in the business and why they do it
- Determine the type and style of management reporting that best meets the organisation's needs
- Recognise and understand the importance of understanding our customer's expectations and perceptions
- Understand the benefit of using SLAs effectively as a service quality improvement tool
- Understand the importance of a reward and recognition strategy and identify some different methods of reward and recognition
- Determine how to develop a project plan to set-up or re-design the Service Desk
- Identify the steps required in a project plan
- Understand the importance of effective Process Management
- Examine the ITSM processes with which the Service Desk has involvement
- Determine the function of the Service Desk within the problem management process
- Identify methods for setting priorities
- Understand ways to maximise the use of knowledge management
- Determine the importance of a good change management process
- Understand the importance of clear and straightforward processes within the workplace
- Determine the benefits of a problem management process, and its interfaces with other key processes
- Understand the importance of root cause analysis
- Review the importance and benefit of metrics as part of the customer service processes
People and Motivation
- Examine motivational theories and how they apply within the workplace
- Identify the key skills and attributes required for Service Desk staff
- Review work environment factors and their impact on staff motivation and behaviour
People Skills and Knowledge
- Determine different categories of skills and knowledge required by staff
- Identify the core business knowledge all staff should possess as a minimum
- Determine the manner in which staff currently acquire their skills and knowledge
- Understand the common QA practices used to assess, modify and improve IT services in order to meet and exceed customer expectations
- Understand the role of benchmarking in the Service Desk environment in order to obtain a comparative evaluation of performance
Tools and Technologies
- Identify the commonly used Service Desk tools and technologies, their benefits and pitfalls
- Examine the various knowledge tools available to the Service Desk
- Identify which tools we use, which we need and why we need them
- Understand the responsibilities of the Service Desk in contributing to IT and business objectives
- Implement ways to recognize and promote the benefits a Service Desk brings to the business
- Gain a basic understanding of financial principles and business awareness
- Identify the skills required for the Service Desk team from the customer's perspective and ours
- Determine methods to recruit and retain talented staff
- Identify the qualities that make for effective leadership and how to develop them
- Determine how well we manage our time and develop ways for improving our time management skills
- Understand the importance of continual personal development, continual learning and of staying current within the industry
- Identify techniques for staff assessment and staff development
Holders become qualified 'SDI™ - Service Desk Managers'
At the end of the course, delegates receive an exam voucher (by email) for them to book their exam via PeopleCert. The pass mark is 65%.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.