We are delighted to announce that The Service Desk Manager exam has been refreshed by Service Desk Institute and PeopleCert. These exciting updates enable Service Desk Managers to keep abreast of the latest industry trends and best practices in the management of support methodologies, technologies and the tools utilised within the Service Desk.
If you have participated in an SDM course (with QA) prior to the refresh but have yet to sit your exam, your voucher is still valid and you are not required to take the refreshed syllabus.
Please note: Due to the current situation with Covid 19 the PeopleCert are offering remotely proctored online exams for all candidates. Once registered by the QA exam administration team you will receive an exam registration email directly from PeopleCert. This email will contain the necessary instruction on how to schedule your exam.
***Please note that due to the current high demand for online exams, there may be limited time slots available. Delegates are invited to contact Peoplecert directly regarding the provision of additional sessions. We would recommend delegates follow this process and re-access the live calendar regularly as Peoplecert will add additional sessions where demand dictates. ***
Being an effective Service Desk Manager requires a broad range of talents, from people-oriented abilities and an awareness of logistics to financial acumen and presentation skills. This course provides a thorough understanding of, and qualification in, Service Desk management. The course also looks at the management of support methodologies and technologies and the tools utilised within the Service Desk.
It reviews issues such as Service Level Agreements, the benefits and pitfalls and the importance of metrics; the implementation of service management processes and effective problem solving techniques that a Service Desk Manager can utilise. The course is based upon the standards and objectives for SDI™'s Service Desk Manager qualification and ensures that delegates are provided with the knowledge, information and tools to take the SDM exam.
The course is designed for both new and experienced Service Desk Managers, team leaders and supervisors. Between 3 and 5 years experience of the Service Desk environment is ideal.
It is strongly recommended that delegates have more than 3 years experience within the Service Desk environment before attending this event.
By the end of this course you will:
- gain a thorough grounding in the skills required to build, lead, motivate and manage a Service Desk team
- get a guide to the practical Service Desk management tools, tips, standards and support
- gain an overview of industry recognised IT Service Management best practices, including ITIL processes
- achieve an internationally recognised Service Desk Management qualification
Building the Right Conceptual Model
- Understand the role of support within the context of the organisations overall mission and strategic business goals
- Determine the design and set-up of a successful support organisation based on proven strategies and known best practices
- Develop a clear understanding of the elements that must be present for establishment of a successful Service Desk
- Understand the importance of business and IT integration
- Develop strategies aligned to organizational objectives that are designed to take advantage of business opportunities
- Understand the importance and need for goals and objectives
- Understand the importance of ensuring all staff are aware of the role they play in the business and why they do it
- Determine the type and style of management reporting that best meets the organisation's needs
- Recognise and understand the importance of understanding our customer's expectations and perceptions
- Understand the benefit of using SLAs effectively as a service quality improvement tool
- Understand the importance of a reward and recognition strategy and identify some different methods of reward and recognition
- Determine how to develop a project plan to set-up or re-design the Service Desk
- Identify the steps required in a project plan
- Understand the importance of effective Process Management
- Examine the ITSM processes with which the Service Desk has involvement
- Determine the function of the Service Desk within the problem management process
- Identify methods for setting priorities
- Understand ways to maximise the use of knowledge management
- Determine the importance of a good change management process
- Understand the importance of clear and straightforward processes within the workplace
- Determine the benefits of a problem management process, and its interfaces with other key processes
- Understand the importance of root cause analysis
- Review the importance and benefit of metrics as part of the customer service processes
People and Motivation
- Examine motivational theories and how they apply within the workplace
- Identify the key skills and attributes required for Service Desk staff
- Review work environment factors and their impact on staff motivation and behaviour
People Skills and Knowledge
- Determine different categories of skills and knowledge required by staff
- Identify the core business knowledge all staff should possess as a minimum
- Determine the manner in which staff currently acquire their skills and knowledge
- Understand the common QA practices used to assess, modify and improve IT services in order to meet and exceed customer expectations
- Understand the role of benchmarking in the Service Desk environment in order to obtain a comparative evaluation of performance
Tools and Technologies
- Identify the commonly used Service Desk tools and technologies, their benefits and pitfalls
- Examine the various knowledge tools available to the Service Desk
- Identify which tools we use, which we need and why we need them
- Understand the responsibilities of the Service Desk in contributing to IT and business objectives
- Implement ways to recognize and promote the benefits a Service Desk brings to the business
- Gain a basic understanding of financial principles and business awareness
- Identify the skills required for the Service Desk team from the customer's perspective and ours
- Determine methods to recruit and retain talented staff
- Identify the qualities that make for effective leadership and how to develop them
- Determine how well we manage our time and develop ways for improving our time management skills
- Understand the importance of continual personal development, continual learning and of staying current within the industry
- Identify techniques for staff assessment and staff development
Holders become qualified 'SDI™ - Service Desk Managers'
At the end of the course, delegates receive an exam voucher (by email) for them to book their exam via PeopleCert. The pass mark is 65%.