What is Systems Development? This course sets out to answer this question by providing an overview of the principles of systems development and delivery, including lifecycle approaches, architecture, business analysis, requirements engineering, systems modeling, design, development, testing, implementation and communication between the various roles involved in systems development and delivery.
This Foundation Certificate is designed for anyone involved in or affected by the development of IS/IT systems; this includes Business and Systems Analysts, Designers, Developers, Testers and others who want an understanding of the coverage of Systems Development.
At the end of the course the delegates may sit an examination to obtain the BCS Foundation Certificate in Systems Development. This qualification provides a foundation for the range of specialist BCS modular certificates in the area of Systems Development plus the higher level BCS Diploma in Solution Development. In addition, this course can be used to provide a foundation in the subject for specialists in other disciplines.
The cost of the exam is not included in this course. Please book that as an extra under code SDFOUNDEXAM.
There are no formal requirements for entry to the course but it is targeted at anyone involved in or affected by the development of IS / IT systems.
Photographic identification for exams and BCS reasonable adjustments policy
If you are taking a BCS exam you must bring photographic identification (passport, driving license or student card) as it is a BCS requirement to produce it for the invigilator prior to the exam. Failure to produce a valid form of photographic identification will result in a candidate not being able to sit the exam. For any questions about what form of identification is acceptable please contact your Account Manager or the QA Examination Administration team on 44 (0)1793 696273.
BCS allow additional time for candidates who have a disability or whose native language differs to that of the examination paper. Full details are provided in the BCS Reasonable Adjustments Policy which is available to view on the BCS website. If you believe you qualify for this then please notify the Exam Administration team on the details below as early as possible. At least two weeks' notice will be required for processing this request. Delegates failing to advise QA and provide evidence when requested, may not be allowed the additional support offered via the BCS policy. QA Exam Administration can be contacted by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone +44(0) 1793 696162.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Understand the scope of systems development work and its relationship to other associated disciplines
- Understand the range of systems development lifecycles
- Understand the objectives, activities and deliverables of business analysis work
- Understand the core activities of the requirements engineering approach
- Understand the purpose of producing a Business Case
- Appreciate the different programming and development approaches
- Understand the importance of systems modelling and specification techniques
- Recognise the fundamental objectives and principles of good systems design
- Recognise the importance of a well developed system architecture
- Recognise the role of quality and testing throughout the lifecycle
- Recognise the importance of careful implementation and changeover
- Recognise the need for evaluation and maintenance of systems
- Appreciate the wide range of software support tools
- Introduction to Systems Development
- Lifecycle types and their rationales
- Business Analysis
- Requirements Engineering
- Making a Business Case
- Programming and Development Approaches
- Systems Modelling and Specification Techniques
- Systems Design
- System Architecture
- Quality and Testing
- Implementation and changeover
- Evaluation and maintenance
- Software Support Tool
- Culminating in:BCS Systems Development Foundation Exam.
BCS Systems Development Foundation Exam (One hour, closed book, multiple choice, paper exam)