In previous Excel courses, you would have learnt to write formulas and functions to perform calculations using a variety of techniques. This course takes your use of functions to the next level and teaches you many more functions within Microsoft Excel.
The course examines the use of functions with real-world scenarios.
This course is aimed at existing Excel users who need to further their knowledge. Delegates are assumed to have experience of the following:
- Create, edit, and format spreadsheets
- Navigate within worksheets and books
- Use Insert Function to create functions
- Work with absolute references (e.g. $A$1)
- Create formulas using functions such as IF or VLOOKUP
- Create named ranges
- Create Tables within Excel
- Sort and filter data
At the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Use fundamental Excel functions in advanced situations
- Combine and nest Excel functions
- Understand a wide variety of Excel functions and their use
- Understand Dynamic Array functions and the benefits of their use
Module 1: Function Writing Review
- What is a function?
- Reading function syntax
- Using range names
- Using tables
- Recap of common functions
- MODE.SNGL and MODE
- MIN and MAX
- COUNT, COUNTA and COUNTBLANK
Module 2: Ranking and aggregate functions
- Functions for ranking data
- SMALL and LARGE
- MINA and MAXA
- RANK, RANK.AVG and RANK.EQ
- Calculating quartiles and percentiles
- QUARTILE, QUARTILE.INC and QUARTILE.EXC
- PERCENTILE, PERCENTILE.INC and PERCENTILE.EXC
- Aggregating data
- SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE
Module 3: Rounding numbers
- Common rounding functions
- ROUND, ROUNDUP and ROUNDDOWN
- Rounding to multiples
- CEILING.MATH and FLOOR.MATH
- Eliminating decimal places
- INT and TRUNC
Module 4: Nesting functions
- Introducing nesting
- Nesting examples
Module 5: Calculate using selective data
- Criteria-based functions
- SUMIFS, AVERAGEIFS, MINIFS and MAXIFS
Module 6: IF and related functions
- The IF functions
- IFERROR and IFNA
- AND, OR and XOR
- Popular related functions: CHOOSE and SWITCH
Module 7: Array functions
- Introducing arrays
- Legacy array formulas and functions
- Dynamic array formulas and functions
Module 8: Lookup and reference functions
- Lookup functions
- VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP and XLOOKUP
- INDEX, MATCH and XMATCH
- Other lookup functions
Module 9: Date and Time functions
- Excel and date and time data
- Date and time essentials
- TODAY and NOW
- DAY, MONTH and YEAR
- HOUR, MINUTE and SECOND
- DATE and TIME
- Calculating from a date
- WORKDAY and WORKDAY.INTL
- Calculating differences between dates
Module 10: Text functions
- Introducing text functions
- Combining text strings
- CONCAT and CONCATENATE
- Extracting from within a text string
- LEFT and RIGHT
- Finding and replacing with functions
- FIND and SEARCH
- REPLACE and SUBSTITUTE
- TRIM and CLEAN
- Changing case
- UPPER, LOWER and PROPER
- Converting data types
Module 11: Custom functions
- Introducing LET and LAMBDA
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.