You have already learnt how to create a task list with suitable dependencies, durations and how to assign and manage resources in Microsoft Project.
You will now see how to manage multiple projects side-by-side, share resources across projects, exchange project plan data with other applications via import and export, plus manage cost effectively. You will use some advanced tracking techniques to add progress to project plans, customise elements and reuse project plan information. Crucially you will see how to report on your project in and out of Microsoft Project.
This course is designed for a person who has an existing understanding of project management concepts, who already has the skills to create and modify project plans using Microsoft Project, and who needs to use Microsoft Project to further manage and customise those plans through the implementation stage of a project.
This course is suitable for anyone using Microsoft Project Standard or Professional, versions 2013, 2016, 2019 and/or the cloud hosted Project Online Desktop Client software. Users of Microsoft Project 2010 will notice significant differences around the reporting functionality as well as the look and feel.
- An understanding of project management concepts.
- You will know how to:
- Create a Project plan from scratch
- Set dependencies between tasks
- Assign resources to tasks in a plan
- Add standard progress to a plan
Dual monitor setup IS REQUIRED for when attending this course via the QA Attend from Anywhere delivery method.
Delegates will learn how to
- Manage project costs
- Work with multiple projects and share resources across project files
- Exchange project plan data with other applications
- Update and ‘track’ a project plan with advanced techniques
- Edit existing and create custom reports. Use external application for reports
- Customise Project to meet specific requirements
Project Introduction Course – Consolidation
Module 1: Manage Costs in Microsoft Project
- Topic A: Create Different Cost Rates for Resources
- Topic B: Change the Resource Cost on Individual Tasks
- Topic C: Alter Costs Based on Time Periods
- Topic D: Assign Overtime Costs and Work to Resources
Module 2: Working with Multiple Projects
- Topic A: Combining Multiple Projects as a Programme
- Topic B: Creating a Shared Resource Pool
- Topic C: Assigning Resources using a Resource Pool
- Topic D: Using Cost Rate Tables with a Resource Pool
- Topic E: Identifying the Critical Path or Paths in a Programme
Module 3: Import and Export Information
- Topic A: File Formats Supported by Microsoft Project
- Topic B: Mapping Project Information
- Topic C: Exporting Microsoft Project Information
- Topic D: Importing Information into Microsoft Project
Module 4: Tracking Progress and Project Actuals
- Topic A: Moving a Project
- Topic B: Entering Task Progress as Scheduled
- Topic C: Updating and Monitoring Progress using a Status Date
- Topic D: Updating Actuals
- Topic E: Reschedule Incomplete Work
Module 5: Reporting on Projects
- Topic A: Reporting on Progress
- Topic B: Manipulate Built-In Reports
- Topic C: Earned Value Reporting
- Topic D: Work with Multiple Baselines
- Topic E: Distribute Project Data in Other Formats
Module 6: Customising Microsoft Project
- Topic A: Working with the Timeline Feature
- Topic B: Create Custom Fields
- Topic C: Create Custom Filters
- Topic D: Create Custom Tables
- Topic E: Create Custom Views
- Topic F: Create Custom Reports
- Topic G: Create Templates
- Topic H: Using the Organizer
- Appendix 1: Microsoft Project – Feature and Version Matrix Project
- Appendix 2: Agile in Microsoft
- Appendix 3: Calculation Options with Status Date
- Appendix 4: Using Interim Plans
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.