The Securing Networks with Cisco Firepower Next Generation Firewall (SSNGFW) v1.0 course shows you how to deploy and use Cisco Firepower® Threat Defense system. This hands-on course gives you knowledge and skills to use and configure Cisco® Firepower Threat Defense technology, beginning with initial device setup and configuration and including routing, high availability, Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA) to Cisco Firepower Threat Defense migration, traffic control, and Network Address Translation (NAT). You will learn how to implement advanced Next-Generation Firewall (NGFW) and Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention System (NGIPS) features, including network intelligence, file type detection, network-based malware detection, and deep packet inspection. You will also learn how to configure site-to-site VPN, remote-access VPN, and SSL decryption before moving on to detailed analysis, system administration, and troubleshooting.
This course helps you prepare to take the exam, Securing Networks with Cisco Firepower (300-710 SNCF), which leads to CCNP Security and Cisco Certified Specialist – Network Security Firepower certifications. The 300-710 SNCF exam has a second preparation course as well, Securing Networks with Cisco Firepower Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention System (SSFIPS). You can take these courses in any order.
This course is designed for technical professionals who need to know how to deploy and manage a Cisco Firepower NGIPS and NGFW in their network environments.
Who should attend
- Security administrators
- Security consultants
- Network administrators
- System engineers
- Technical support personnel
- Channel partners and resellers
Cisco recommends that you have the following knowledge and skills before taking this course:
- Technical understanding of TCP/IP networking and network architecture
- Basic familiarity with firewall and IPS concepts
Delegates will learn how to
This class will help you:
- Implement Cisco Firepower NGFW to provide advanced threat protection before, during, and after attacks
- Gain leading-edge skills for high-demand responsibilities focused on security
After taking this course, you should be able to:
- Describe key concepts of NGIPS and NGFW technology and the Cisco Firepower Threat Defense system, and identify deployment scenarios
- Perform initial Cisco Firepower Threat Defense device configuration and setup tasks
- Describe how to manage traffic and implement quality of service (QoS) using Cisco Firepower Threat Defense
- Describe how to implement NAT by using Cisco Firepower Threat Defense
- Perform an initial network discovery, using Cisco Firepower to identify hosts, applications, and services
- Describe the behavior, usage, and implementation procedure for access control policies
- Describe the concepts and procedures for implementing security intelligence features
Cisco Firepower Threat Defense Overview
- Examining Firewall and IPS Technology
- Firepower Threat Defense Features and Components
- Examining Firepower Platforms
- Cisco Firepower Implementation Use Cases
Cisco Firepower NGFW Device Configuration
- Firepower Threat Defense Device Registration
- FXOS and Firepower Device Manager
- Initial Device Setup
- Managing NGFW Devices
- Examining Firepower Management Center Policies
- Examining Objects
- Examining System Configuration and Health Monitoring
- Device Management
- Examining Firepower High Availability
- Configuring High Availability
- Cisco ASA to Firepower Migration
- Migrating from Cisco ASA to Firepower Threat Defense
Cisco Firepower NGFW Traffic Control
- Firepower Threat Defense Packet Processing
- Implementing QoS
- Bypassing Traffic
Cisco Firepower NGFW Address Translation
- NAT Basics
- Implementing NAT
- NAT Rule Examples
- Implementing NAT
Cisco Firepower Discovery
- Examining Network Discovery
- Configuring Network Discovery
- Implementing Access Control Policies
- Examining Access Control Policies
- Examining Access Control Policy Rules and Default Action
- Implementing Further Inspection
- Examining Connection Events
- Access Control Policy Advanced Settings
- Access Control Policy Considerations
- Implementing an Access Control Policy
- Examining Security Intelligence
- Examining Security Intelligence Objects
- Security Intelligence Deployment and Logging
- Implementing Security Intelligence
File Control and Advanced Malware Protection
- Examining Malware and File Policy
- Examining Advanced Malware Protection
Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention Systems
- Examining Intrusion Prevention and Snort Rules
- Examining Variables and Variable Sets
- Examining Intrusion Policies
- Examining IPsec
- Site-to-Site VPN Configuration
- Site-to-Site VPN Troubleshooting
- Implementing Site-to-Site VPN
- Examining Remote-Access VPN
- Examining Public-Key Cryptography and Certificates
- Examining Certificate Enrollment
- Remote-Access VPN Configuration
- Implementing Remote-Access VPN
- Examining SSL Decryption
- Configuring SSL Policies
- SSL Decryption Best Practices and Monitoring
Detailed Analysis Techniques
- Examining Event Analysis
- Examining Event Types
- Examining Contextual Data
- Examining Analysis Tools
- Threat Analysis
- Managing Updates
- Examining User Account Management Features
- Configuring User Accounts
- System Administration
Cisco Firepower Troubleshooting
- Examining Common Misconfigurations
- Examining Troubleshooting Commands
- Firepower Troubleshooting
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.