Microsoft Word provides a wide range of tools and features that are designed to be used when creating longer documents.
Whether you need to learn how to control formatting efficiently, manage tables and graphics or manipulate large quantities of text, this course will show you how. You will also learn how to create referencing content such as a table of contents and figures, work with footnotes and endnotes, captions, cross-references and indexes.
Other topics will cover how to use sections to control formatting so that you can effectively combine portrait and landscape pages, and to utilise changing headers, footers and page numbers throughout a document. You will also see how using mail merge and tracked changes can benefit your workflow.
- Use of mouse and keyboard
- Ability to navigate the Windows environments
- Open and Close programs
- This course is suitable for anyone using Word 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 or 365. If you’re attending at a QA location, the course will be delivered on Word 2019.
Dual monitor setup is required for when attending this course via the QA Attend from Anywhere delivery method.
Delegates will learn how to
- Work more effectively by using Quick Parts and customising the Word interface, as well as utilise shortcuts
- Work with tracking to assist in document collaboration
- Work with tables and graphics to control and manage them
- Use mail merge to automate document creation
- Format and control text and resolve common formatting issues
- Work with document sections to control page setup, headers/footers and page numbering
- Create, apply and manage styles to format documents
- Incorporate referencing tools such as tables of contents and figures; captions, cross referencing and indexes; and use footnotes and endnotes
Module 1: Working effectively
- Navigating a document
- Using non breaking characters to control text wrapping
- Working with AutoText and document property Quick Parts
- Using Find and Replace options
- Customising Word
Module 2: Collaborating with others
- Setting up for collaboration
- Tracking changes
Module 3: Working with tables and graphics
- Controlling table positioning
- Working with rows and columns
- Modifying table properties
Module 4: Mail merge
- An introduction to mail merge
- Starting the merge
- Creating the main document
- Previewing and finishing the merge
Module 5: Formatting text
- Character and paragraph formatting
- Automatic selection techniques
- Using the Reveal Formatting pane
- Controlling paragraphs with formatting
Module 6: Formatting a document using sections
- Creating section breaks
- Combining page setup and orientation in a document
- Newspaper columns
- Using sections to control headers, footers, and page numbering
Module 7: Using styles
- Using styles to format text
- Creating and modifying styles
- View styles with the Styles Area
- Printing styles
Module 8: Reference tables and tools
- Creating and managing a table of contents
- Inserting captions and tables of figures
- Cross referencing
- Working with footnotes and endnotes
- Inserting and modifying an index
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.