Microsoft Visio allows users to create, design and manage visually engaging diagrams, maps, and drawings. This two-day course takes users from the fundamental skills up to advanced techniques.
This course is suitable for users of Microsoft Visio 2010, 2013, 2016 or 2019 Standard or Professional editions. If you're attending at a QA location, the course will be delivered on Microsoft Visio 2013 Professional
- An appreciation of drawing applications and design concepts
- Familiarity with mouse and keyboard
- Navigate through Windows files and folders
- Work with Windows - minimise, maximise, open and close
Dual monitor setup is required for when attending this course via the QA Attend from Anywhere delivery method.
- Navigate drawings in Microsoft Visio
- Customise the Visio environment
- Work with templates
- Create and modify shapes
- Create organisation charts ad flowcharts
- Enhance diagrams through formatting
- Work with other applications to import and export data
- Customise shapes and stencils
Module 1 – Getting Started with Visio
- Exploring the Visio Interface
- Customising the Ribbon and Quick Access Toolbar
- Using Backstage Commands
Module 2 – Shape and Drawing Basics
- Template Selection
- Adding Basic Shapes
- Open and Closed Shapes
- Manipulating Shapes
- Task Panes
- Adding Text to Shapes and Text Manipulation
- Numbering Shapes
- Connecting Shapes
- Manipulating Connecting Points
Module 3 – Building Organisation Charts
- Manually Creating an Organisation Chart
- Creating Organisation Charts with the Wizard
- Breaking the Organisation Chart across Pages
- Modifying the Layout of an Organisation Chart
Module 4 – Creating a Flowchart
- Creating a Basic Flowchart
- 3D Workflow Diagrams
- Cross-Functional Flowchart
Module 5 – Formatting Diagrams
- Shape Formatting
- Applying Themes and a Background
- Creating a Style
- Adding Borders and Titles
- Working with Layers
Module 6 – Working with External Data
- Linking Shapes to External Data
- Linking a Drawing to another Application
Module 7 – Custom Stencils and Shapes
- Introduction to Custom Shapes
- Importing Shapes
- Creating a Custom Shape
- Creating a Custom Stencil
- Creating a Custom Template
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.