This five-day, hands-on training course provides the advanced knowledge, skills, and tools to achieve competency in operating and troubleshooting the VMware NSX-T™ Data Center environment. In this course, you are introduced to workflows of various networking and security constructs along with several operational and troubleshooting tools that help you manage and troubleshoot your NSX-T Data Center environment.
In addition, you are presented with various types of technical problems, which you will identify, analyze, and solve through a systematic process.
Before taking this course, you must complete the following course:
• VMware NSX-T Data Center: Install, Configure, Manage [V3.2]
You should also have understanding or knowledge of these technologies:
• Good understanding of TCP/IP services and protocols
• Knowledge and working experience of computer networking and security, including:
o Switching and routing technologies (L2-L3)
o Network and application delivery services (L4-L7)
o Firewalling (L4-L7)
o VMware vSphere® environments
The VMware Certified Professional – Network Virtualization certification is recommended.
Delegates will learn how to
• Use the native tools available in NSX-T Data Center to identify and troubleshoot the problems related to
the NSX-T Data Center environment
• Use VMware vRealize® Log Insight™ and VMware vRealize® Network Insight™ to identify and
troubleshoot the problems related to the NSX-T Data Center environment
• Explain the NSX-T Data Center infrastructure components and the communications between them
• Identify, analyze, and troubleshoot problems related to the management, control, and data planes in NSX-T
• Identify, analyze, and troubleshoot problems related to infrastructure preparation in NSX-T Data Center
• Identify, analyze, and troubleshoot problems related to logical switching and logical routing in NSX-T Data
• Identify, analyze, and troubleshoot network security problems related to the NSX-T Data Center Distributed
and Gateway firewalls
• Identify, analyze, and troubleshoot problems related to VPN and the VMware NSX® Advanced Load
• Identify the components and packet flows involved in the NSX-T Data Center datapath and troubleshoot
1 Course Introduction
• Introduction and course logistics
• Course objectives
2 NSX-T Data Center Operations and Tools
• Explain and validate the native troubleshooting tools (dashboards, Traceflow, live traffic analysis, port
mirroring) for the NSX-T Data Center environment
• Configure syslog, IPFIX, and log collections for the NSX-T Data Center environment
• Integrate NSX-T Data Center with vRealize Log Insight and vRealize Network Insight
• Validate and review the API methods available to configure the NSX-T Data Center environment
3 Troubleshooting the NSX Management Cluster
• Describe the NSX Management cluster architecture, components, and communication channels
• Identify the workflows involved in configuring the NSX Management cluster
• Validate and troubleshoot the NSX Management cluster formation
4 Troubleshooting Infrastructure Preparation
• Describe the data plane architecture, components, and communication channels
• Explain and troubleshoot VMware ESXi™ transport node preparation issues
• Explain and troubleshoot KVM transport node preparation issues
• Explain and troubleshoot VMware NSX® Edge™ transport node preparation issue
5 Troubleshooting Logical Switching
• Describe the architecture of logical switching
• List the modules and processes involved in configuring logical switching
• Explain the importance of N-VDS and VDS in transport nodes
• Describe the procedure to migrate from N-VDS to VDS
• Review the architecture and workflows involved in attaching workloads to segments
• Identify and troubleshoot common logical switching issues
6 Troubleshooting Logical Routing
• Review the architecture of logical routing and NSX Edge nodes
• Explain the workflows involved in the configuration of Tier-0 and Tier-1 gateways
• Explain the high availability modes and validate logical router placements
• Identify and troubleshoot common logical routing issues using both BGP and OSPF
7 Troubleshooting Security
• Review the architecture of the Distributed Firewall
• Explain the workflows involved in configuring the Distributed Firewall
• Review the architecture of the Gateway Firewall
• Explain the workflows involved in configuring the Gateway Firewall
• Identify and troubleshoot common distributed firewall and Gateway Firewall issues
8 Troubleshooting Services
• Review the NSX Advanced Load Balancer architecture and components
• Identify and troubleshoot common NSX Advanced Load Balancer issues
• Review of IPsec and L2 VPN architecture and components
• Identify and troubleshoot common IPsec and L2 VPN issues
9 Datapath Walkthrough
• Verify and validate the path of the packet on the NSX datapath (East-West and South-North)
• Identify and perform packet captures at various points in the datapath
• Use NSX CLI and native hypervisor commands to retrieve configurations involved in the NSX datapath
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.