The MySQL Fundamentals training is the first step in mastering MySQL, the world's most popular open source database. Develop solid understanding and practical experience using relational databases, SQL and the MySQL Server and tools.
- Describe the features and benefits of MySQL.
- Install and configure the MySQL server and clients.
- Use Structured Query Language (SQL) to build your database and query data.
- Query JSON data with SQL.
- Employ appropriate MySQL tools.
- Protect your data with security best practices.
- Benefits to You
This course will teach you everything you need to know to start using the popular MySQL database in your Web, Cloud and embedded applications. In learning about MySQL you will also gain an understanding of relational databases. Furthermore, you will harness that power by learning SQL and using it to build databases, populate them with data and query that data through extensive hands-on practices.
- Database Administrators
- End Users
Delegates will learn how to
- Describe the features and benefits of MySQL
- Explain the basics of relational databases
- Issue MySQL statements from the mysql command-line client
- Perform database operations by using MySQL Workbench
- Select appropriate data types for your database
- Build a database and tables by using SQL
- Modify the structure of your database
- Create indexes and keys
- Add or update database data
- Query data with SELECT statements
- Join data from multiple tables
- Use built-in MySQL functions
- Retrieve JSON data
- Backup and restore database data
- Explain database transactions
Introduction to MySQL
- Course Goals
- Course Lesson Map
- Classroom Environment
- MySQL Overview
- MySQL Community Resources
- How an instance of MySQL Cloud Service differs from having an on-premises instance
- MySQL Courses and Certification
MySQL Server and Client
- MySQL Client/Server Model
- MySQL Connectors
- Installation of the MySQL server
- Starting and stopping the MySQL server
- Using the mysql client
- MySQL Workbench
Querying Table Data
- The SELECT Statement
- Query Data From An Application
- Troubleshooting Problems
- Data Types as Part of Database Design
- Numeric Data Types
- Temporal Data Type
- String Data Types
- Character Set and Collation Support
- Data Type Considerations
- The Meaning Of NULL
- Functions in MySQL Expressions
- Using Functions
- String Functions
- Date And Time Functions
- Numeric Functions
- Aggregate Functions
- Spaces in Function Names
- RANK Window Functions
Joins and Unions
- Querying Multiple Tables
- Joining Tables with SELECT
- Inner Joins
- Outer Joins
- Table Name Aliases
- Combining Multiple Queries with UNION
- Nesting Queries
- Writing Simple Subqueries
- Writing Complex Subqueries
Creating Databases and Tables
- Creating a Database
- Creating a Table
- Showing How a Table Was Created
- Column Options
- Table Options
- Copying an Existing Table Structure
- Confirming the Creation of a New Table
- Copying an Existing Table Structure
- Creating a Temporary Table
- Indexes, Keys, and Constraints
Modifying Databases and Tables
- Deleting Databases and Tables
- Adding, Removing and Modifying Table Columns
- Adding, Removing and Modifying Indexes and Constraints
Modifying Table Data
- Manipulating Data
- Inserting Records
- Replacing Existing Records
- Updating Existing Records
- Deleting Records
- Exporting and Importing A Script
- Multistatement Transactions
- Modifying Data From An Application
Securing Your Database
- Layers of Security
- Creating Users
- Creating Roles
- Assigning Privileges to Users And/Or Roles
- Creating Views to Control Access
Backing Up Your Database
- Importance Of Backups
- Creating a Backup
- Options for Backup
- Restoring a Backup
- JSON Use Cases
- Retrieving Data From JSON Columns
- Creating a JSON Column
- Inserting Data Into a JSON Column
- Updating a JSON Column
- Course Goals
- MySQL Curriculum Path
- MySQL Resources
- Final Q&A
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.