MSP is the go-to certification and guidance for programme managers, business change managers and the next step for project managers to develop their knowledge and skills to be able to positively respond to the challenges they face when managing programmes and larger, more strategic or multiple projects.
MSP is a globally recognised framework for best practice programme management. MSP is specifically designed to address the most common challenges that organizations encounter when leading investments in change. It is designed to align programmes and projects to organizational strategy and to provide governance. It focuses on the outcomes of benefit, whilst mitigating risks and actively engaging stakeholders.
MSP can be used in conjunction with all the other best-practice products (such as PRINCE2 and MoP) and international or internal organizational standards.
MSP 5th edition consists of a set of principles, themes and processes that provide a clear roadmap for the programme lifecycle and ensure successful organizational outcomes.
Using elements from QA’s ‘Performance Based Learning’ approach, we help you to not only know MSP, but also apply and tailor it for your programmes. The course has been designed by award winning instructional designers to ensure that it provides an interactive and engaging introduction to MSP. Our experienced MSP experts explain the method through a wide range of individual and group exercises, case-study application, learning ‘games’ and practice exam questions.
***To take the MSP 5th edition Practitioner exam, candidates are required to have MSP 5th edition Foundation certificate ***
If you hold Ed. 4 Foundation you will need to sit course PBPMSPFP (Ed. 4 Practitioner).
Please speak with your QA Account manager if you hold 4th edition Foundation.
- Evolve your skills to manage larger, more complex projects – MSP is the natural next step to develop your knowledge and skills to be able to respond to challenges and boost your career
- Adopt a wider strategic approach – The vision and target operating model allow you to see the “big picture” and link actions to the wider organizational strategy
- Be highly responsive to change – with its adoption of incremental approach to the programme lifecycle MSP empowers you to be adaptable, flexible and responsive to change
Project managers, Senior project managers
- Develop a strategic mindset - the vision, target operating model and programme plan allow you take a wider strategic view and co-ordinate multiple projects ensuring they are linked to corporate objectives.
- Be adaptable and choose the most appropriate delivery mode - MSP’s multimodal delivery mode allows multiple ways of working, based on what is most suitable for you when delivering the work and on the work itself.
- Take the next step with MSP – It is an industry-recognized certification which shows you can be trusted with responsibility for business change and major shifts in organizations.
Programme managers, Business change managers
- Gain more clarity within complex environments – MSP provides a clear route through complex programmes and encourages a strategic viewpoint to deliver outcomes and benefits, without getting distracted by operational issues. The framework is designed to be flexible and adaptable through the programme lifecycle.
- Build your capability to lead business change across the organization - in the strategic context i.e. from delivering outputs to enabling a vision through the principles and themes of MSP which ensure that there is a continual focus on co-ordinating multiple projects to the agreed strategic outcomes.
- Supporting organizational agility – by adopting a multimodal delivery philosophy and emphasizing an incremental approach, MSP enables organizations to be agile, responsive and flexible.
Organization, budget decision maker
- Align projects and programmes to organizational strategy - MSP aligns programmes and projects to organizational strategy; it provides governance and focuses on the outcome of benefits for the organization.
- Stay competitive and respond to industry change – Organizations need to continually improve their ability to change to be able to react to changes in the industry. MSP is specifically designed to address common challenges such as fixed deadlines and scarce resource that organizations encounter when leading investments in change.
- Rely on proven, successfully applied framework – MSP represents proven best practice in the successful delivery of organizational change through the application of programme management.
- build on the knowledge gained in the Foundation course
- demonstrate sufficient ability to apply and tailor the MSP programme management framework (as described in the practitioner syllabus) to be awarded the MSP Practitioner qualification.
- be able to start applying the framework to a real programme
The course focuses on the components of the MSP framework and how they help to create outcomes of benefit while mitigating risks and actively engaging stakeholders.
MSP philosophy and structure
- What is a programme and how it differs to both business as usual and project work
- Relationship between the MSP principles, governance themes and the lifecycle
The 7 MSP Principles
- Lead with purpose
- Collaborate across boundaries
- Deal with ambiguity
- Align with priorities
- Deploy diverse skills
- Realize measurable benefits
- Bring pace and value.
The 7 governance themes
The 7 processes in the programme lifecycle
- Identify the programme
- Design the outcomes
- Plan progressive delivery
- Deliver the capabilities
- Embed the outcomes
- Evaluate new information
- Close the programme
MSP practitioner examinations
The practitioner exam consists of;
- 70 scenario based multiple choice questions
- 2.5 hours
- Open book – MSP® 5th edition publication only
- Candidates require a minimum of 42 marks (60%) to pass
MSP® certification paths
New: AXELOS ProPath learning paths
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.