This three day course is aimed at those wishing to learn how to use Python to work with and handle Data. When combined with our Introduction to Data Science course you would be set up well to follow a Python learning journey into Data Science, Machine Learning, and Artificial Intelligence.
During the programme you will be introduced to Python and specific development environments and packages for working with Data, with a focus on NumPy, Pandas, Matplotlib, and Seaborn.
Along the way you will see how to clean and manipulate tabular data, apply simple statistical techniques and data visualisations, and learn about how to control the flow of your program in order to automate processes.
Throughout the course you will engage with activities and discussions with one of our Data Science technical specialists and complete technical lab activities to practice the techniques you have learnt and develop ideas for further practice.
No prior experience with Python is necessary, though it is assumed that you will be familiar with core data concepts such as simple table structures and data types – all the pre-requisites you need are covered by our Data Fundamentals course.
Delegates will learn how to
- To apply your knowledge of data practically using Python for handling data in roles that involve data analysis, data engineering, data science, machine learning and AI, and Data related Ops roles.
- If you are in a Software or IT related role where you work with Python, this course will support you in learning how to work with Data.
- To ensure you have the necessary pre-requisite knowledge when combined with Introduction to Data Science should you wish to progress onto Data Science and Machine Learning with Python.
1. Introduction to Programming for Data Handling
- Describe the pros and cons of using programming languages to work with data
- Identify the languages most suitable for data handling
- Explain the challenges of using programming languages versus data analysis tools
2. Introduction to Python and IDEs
- Describe the key attributes of the Python programming language.
- Explain the role of the Jupyter IDE for Python programming.
- Use the Jupyter IDE to write a basic Python program.
- Write a program which uses string, integer, float and boolean data types.
3. Data Structures, Flow Control, Functions, and Basic Types
- Construct collections to solve data problems.
- Utilise selection and iteration syntax to control the flow of a Python program.
- Write reusable functions which can be used to alter data & automate repetitive tasks.
- Use Python's built-in open function to create, read, and edit files.
4. Mathematical and Statistical Programming with NumPy
- Describe the core features of NumPy arrays.
- Create, index, and manipulate NumPy arrays to solve data problems.
- Use masking and querying syntax to retrieve desired values.
- Use vectorised ufuncs.
5. Introduction to Pandas
- Create, manipulate, and alter Series and DataFrames with Pandas.
- Define and change the indices of Series & Dataframes.
- Use Pandas' functions and methods to change column types, compute summary statistics and aggregate data.
- Read, manipulate, and write data from csv, xlsx, json and other structured file formats.
6. Data Cleaning with Pandas
- Identify missing data and apply techniques to deal with it.
- Deduplicate, transform and replace values.
- Use DataFrame string methods to manipulate text data.
- Write regular expressions which munge text data.
7. Data Manipulation with Pandas
- Construct Pivot tables in Pandas.
- Time series manipulation.
- Stream data into Pandas to handle data size problems.
8. Methods for Visualising Data
- Construct and tailor basic data visualisations using Matplotlib & Seaborn for both numeric & non-numeric data.
- Meaningfully visualise aggregate data using Matplotlib and Seaborn.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.