C is one of the most widely-used languages for systems software and workstation application programming, largely due to its power and flexibility. This course will provide you a highly effective, structured approach to learning ASCI Standard C revision C90 for experienced programmers who have had some exposure to similar languages such as Java or C#.
Programming skills will be enhanced as delegates will be able to use the powerful features of C to best effect building on the skill gathered from their previous experience in similar high level languages. The QA's C programming Course for Experienced Programmers is outstanding because of its emphasis on writing style, pitfalls to avoid and techniques to use that make the code clear, concise and maintainable. It is designed to accelerate through the foundations of C programming as appropriate to the skill level.
In addition to the lecture material there are graded practical sessions that cover each of the major areas of C. There are also optional exercises for further study after the course. Delegates may take away worked solutions, together with some small sample demonstration programs.
Delegates must have professional programming skills and a good working knowledge of a C-like language together with the usual skills in a block-structured language, such as Basic/Visual Basic, Pascal/Modula2, Fortran, Algol or PL/1, and be familiar with a programming environment.
Please note: Before attending this class delegates must have a Microsoft account (signing up one is free). The instructions on how to set up a Microsoft account can be found here.
Delegates will learn how to
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Use all the major elements of the C language
- Write programs using the strengths of the C language, for example aggregate types, pointers and dynamic data structures
- Write and use the data structuring features of the language, which can result in better program design and maintenance
- Work with the C run-time library: a major source of programmer productivity and portability
- Dealing with errors, both by spotting and remedying common programming errors and using C's error handling facilities
- Write in a good C programming style without compromising efficiency and integrity
An Overview of C
- History and evolution of C; Key characteristics of C
Writing a Simple Program
- Program structure; Data and code statements; C software development life cycle
Data Types, Operators and Expressions
- Scalar types; Variables and constants; Storage considerations; Initialising variables; Standard arithmetic operators; Increment, decrement, assignment and relational operators; Automatic and programmer-controlled type conversion; Introduction to evaluation points
- Boolean expressions; While, Do and For loops; Looping style considerations; If, Else and Switch statements; Other statements affecting flow of control; Decision-making style considerations
Functions and Program Structure
- Inter-function communication; Function prototypes, calls and definitions; Scope and storage classes, stack; recursion
Structured Data Types
- Arrays, strings, structures and unions; Nested data structures
- The concept of indirection; Pointers and address arithmetic; Pointers and functions; pointers and const
Pointers and Data Structures
- Pointers and arrays; Pointers and structures; Linked Lists; Overview of Queue and Tree Structures
- Tokens and macros; Include files; Conditional compilation, File Guarding; operators
Input and Output
- Using run-time routines; Character and formatted I/O; File I/O; Block I/O
Further Data Types, Pointers and Error Handling
- Bit manipulation; User-defined types; Function Pointers, asserts and errno
Working with Larger Programs
- C and modular programming; Linkage; Cs standard library
The Way Ahead
- Further C information sources; Support after this course
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.