This course is for individuals who seek an understanding of how to manage, optimize, and predict costs as you run workloads on AWS. You learn how to implement architectural best practices, explore cost optimization strategies, and design patterns to help you architect cost-efficient solutions on AWS.
This course includes presentations, hands-on labs, and demonstrations.
This course is intended for:
- Solutions architects
- Cost-optimization leads
- System administrators
We recommend that attendees of this course have:
- Architecting on AWS classroom training
Delegates will learn how to
In this course, you will learn to:
- Explain the cost of core AWS services
- Determine and predict costs associated with current and future cloud workloads
- Use strategies and best practices to reduce AWS costs
- Use AWS tools to manage, monitor, alert, and optimize your AWS spend
- Apply strategies to monitor service costs and usage
- Implement governance standards, including resource tagging, account structure, provisioning, permissions, and access
Module 0: Couse Overview
- Course introduction
- Module 1: Introduction to Cloud Financial Management
- Introduction to Cloud Financial Management
- Four pillars of Cloud Financial Management
Module 2: Resource Tagging
- Tagging resources
- Hands-On Lab: Cost optimization: Control Resource Consumption Using Tagging and AWS Config
Module 3: Pricing and Cost
- Fundamentals of pricing
- AWS Free Tier
- Volume discounts
- Savings plans and Reserved Instances
- Demonstration: AWS Pricing Calculator
Module 4: AWS Billing, Reporting, and Monitoring
- Understanding AWS invoices
- Reporting and planning
- AWS Cost Explorer
- AWS Budgets
- Demonstration: AWS Billing Console
- Demonstration: AWS Cost Explorer
- Demonstration: Trusted Advisor
- Hands-On Lab: Cost optimization: Deploy Ephemeral Environments Using Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling
- AWS Cloud Financial Management for Builders
Module 5: Architecting for Cost: Compute
- Evolution of compute efficiency
- Amazon EC2 right-sizing
- Purchasing options
- Amazon CloudWatch monitoring and automation
- Architect for Amazon EC2 Spot Instance
- Automate the infrastructure provision
- Manage capacity to optimize resource usage
- Impact of software licensing
- Serverless solutions to reduce costs
- Demonstration: Compute Optimizer
- Demonstration: Spot Instance Advisor
- Hands-On Lab: Cost optimization: Right Size Amazon EC2 Instances Using Amazon CloudWatch Metrics
Module 6: Architecting for Cost: Networking
- Data transfer costs
- Understand data costs for different services
- How to triage network costs
- Hands-On Lab: Cost optimization: Reduce Data Transfer Costs Using Amazon CloudFront and Endpoints
- AWS Cloud Financial Management for Builders
Module 7: Architecting for Cost: Storage
- Amazon EBS cost, pricing, and best practices
- Amazon S3 cost, pricing, and best practices
- Amazon EFS cost, pricing, and best practices
- Hands-On Lab: Cost optimization: Reduce Storage Costs Using Amazon S3 Lifecycle Management
Module 8: Architecting for Cost: Databases
- Amazon RDS cost, pricing, and best practices
- Amazon Aurora cost, pricing, and best practices
- Amazon DynamoDB cost, pricing, and best practices
- Amazon ElastiCache cost, pricing, and best practices
- Amazon Redshift cost, pricing, and best practices
Module 9: Cost Governance
- Setting up AWS Organizations
- AWS Systems Manager
- Module 10: Course Summary
- Course review
- Hands-On Lab: Cost optimization: Reduce Compute Costs Using AWS Instance Scheduler
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.