The stakes for software security are very high, and yet many development teams deal with software security only after the code has been developed and the software is being prepared for delivery. As with any aspect of software quality, to ensure successful implementation, security and privacy issues should be managed throughout the entire software development lifecycle. This course presents an approach for dealing with security and privacy throughout the entire software development lifecycle. You will learn about vulnerabilities that undermine security, and how to identify and remediate them in your own projects. You will learn general strategies for dealing with security defects and misconfiguration, how to design software to deal with the human element in security, and how to incorporate security into all phases of development.
- Python® Programming: Introduction
- Python® Programming: Advanced
- HTML5: Content Authoring with New and Advanced Features
- SQL Querying: Fundamentals (Second Edition)
In this course, you will employ best practices in software development to develop secure software.
- Identify the need for security in your software projects.
- Eliminate vulnerabilities within software.
- Use a Security by Design approach to design a secure architecture for your software.
- Implement common protections to protect users and data.
- Apply various testing methods to find and correct security defects in your software.
- Maintain deployed software to ensure ongoing security.
This course includes hands on activities for each topic area. The goal of these activities is to demonstrate concepts utilizing two universal languages Python and Java Script. Developers who use alternate languages will be able apply the principles from the activities to any coding languages. Hands on exercises are designed to keep the typing of code to a bare minimum. CertNexus provides students with all of the code they need to complete activities. The activities do not require a “deep dive” into code to understand the principles being covered.
Module 1: Identifying the Need for Security in Your Software Projects
- Topic A: Identify Security Requirements and Expectations
- Topic B: Identify Factors That Undermine Software Security
- Topic C: Find Vulnerabilities in Your Software
- Topic D: Gather Intelligence on Vulnerabilities and Exploits
Module 2: Handling Vulnerabilities
- Topic A: Handle Vulnerabilities Due to Software Defects and Misconfiguration
- Topic B: Handle Vulnerabilities Due to Human Factors
- Topic C: Handle Vulnerabilities Due to Process Shortcomings
Module 3: Designing for Security
- Topic A: Apply General Principles for Secure Design
- Topic B: Design Software to Counter Specific Threats
Module 4: Developing Secure Code
- Topic A: Follow Best Practices for Secure Coding
- Topic B: Prevent Platform Vulnerabilities
- Topic C: Prevent Privacy Vulnerabilities
Module 5: Implementing Common Protections
- Topic A: Limit Access Using Login and User Roles
- Topic B: Protect Data in Transit and At Rest
- Topic C: Implement Error Handling and Logging
- Topic D: Protect Sensitive Data and Functions
- Topic E: Protect Database Access
Module 6: Testing Software Security
- Topic A: Perform Security Testing
- Topic B: Analyze Code to find Security Problems
- Topic C: Use Automated Testing Tools to Find Security Problems
Module 7: Maintaining Security in Deployed Software
- Topic A: Monitor and Log Applications to Support Security
- Topic B: Maintain Security after Deployment
Frequently asked questions
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.