With the ever-increasing numbers of security breaches, both human and machine-based, significantly more understanding is required from testers to ensure that the proper quality assurance measures are in place for assuring the security of IT systems. This intensive four-day course contains lectures, exercises and practical work to describe and illustrate best practices in security testing.
Who is it for?
The ISTQB Advanced Security course is for Technical Testers, Security Testers, Security Co-ordinators and Managers, plus testers and test managers who are serious about including security aspects into their test plans or who want to specialise.
- A Certificate at ISTQB Foundation level must have been awarded for candidates to sit this course
- It is recommended that candidates have at least three-years testing experience before attempting the course and exam.
Delegates will learn how to
Module 1 - The Basis of Security Testing
- Security Risks
- Information Security Policies and Procedures
- Security Auditing and Its Role in Security Testing.
- Security Testing Approaches
- Improving the Security Testing Practices
- ISTQB Advanced Security Tester Certification Course.
Module 2 - Security Testing Purposes, Goals and Strategies
- The Purpose of Security Testing
- The Organizational Context
- Security Testing Objectives
- The Scope and Coverage of Security Testing Objectives
Module 3 - Security Testing Processes
- Security Test Process Definition
- Security Test Planning
- Security Test Design
- Security Test Execution
- Security Test Evaluation
- Security Test Maintenance
Module 4 - Security Testing Throughout the Software Lifecycle
- Role of Security Testing in a Software Lifecycle
- The Role of Security Testing in Requirements
- The Role of Security Testing in Design
- The Role of Security Testing in Implementation Activities
- The Role of Security Testing in System and Acceptance Test Activities
- The Role of Security Testing in Maintenance.
Module 5 - Testing Security Mechanisms
- System Hardening
- Authentication and Authorization
- Firewalls and Network Zones
- Intrusion Detection
- Malware Scanning
- Data Obfuscation
Module 6 - Human Factors in Security Testing
- Understanding the Attackers
- Social Engineering
- Security Awareness.
Module 7 - Security Test Evaluation and Reporting
- Security Test Evaluation
- Security Test Reporting.
Module 8 - Security Testing Tools
- Types and Purposes of Security Testing Tools
- Tool Selection.
Module 9 - Standards and Industry Trends
- Understanding Security Testing Standards
- Applying Security Standards
- Industry Trends.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.