This course introduces the Modular Smart Array (MSA) solutions 2312fc, 2324, P2000 and 1040/2040 and focuses on implementing and managing an MSA SAN solution. Gain an understanding of the features, benefits, and components of each of the systems. Learn the main considerations for installing, configuring, and troubleshooting the systems and how to use the various tools and utilities available for configuring and managing the array systems. The course is 60 percent lecture and 40 percent hands-on labs using HP
- Working knowledge of Windows 2008, HP-UX, or Linux operating systems
- CSG, ESS, and ISS technical
- Presales server
- Storage and SWD technical
Delegates will learn how to
At the conclusion of this course you should be able to:
- Explain the benefits of a Storage Area Network (SAN)
- Explain the product benefits and main features of the MSA products
- Identify, locate, and discuss the functions of the hardware components including: controllers, drive enclosures and hard drives,
- Fibre Channel and iSCSI controller modules, expansion controller modules, power and cooling units, and related interconnect devices
- Identify the software applications supported on the MSA products
- Navigate and utilize the Storage Management Utility (SMU)
- Discuss the sample configurations for the MSA products
- Discuss and utilize the command line interface commands
- Discuss basic operating procedures and associated considerations
- Discuss local and remote configuration
- Discuss how to perform troubleshooting
- Describe best practices
Benefits of a SAN
- Overview of SANs
- Features and benefits
- Supported switches
- SAN components
- iSCSI storage environments
- Product positioning and benefits
- Product descriptions
- Key features and capabilities
- Management tools
- Hardware components
- MSA 2040 Performance
- SSD Best Practices
- Data-at-Rest Encryption Solution overview
- Supported hardware and software
- RAID Basics and benefits
Installation and Configuration
- Controllers and components
- Power supplies and cooling fans
- Chassis and LED indicators
- Expansion controllers/ I/O Modules
- Supported disk chassis and HDDs
- Cabling configurations
- Remote management
MSA Family Management
- How to access management utilities
- Procedures for common tasks
- MSA Terminology - Vdisk, Volume, Host
- Storage Management Utility (SMU)
- Command Line Interface (CLI)
- Firmware upgrades
- Disk Spin Down (DSD)
- MSA Device Discovery Tool
- MSA Performance Tool
- MSA Software Plug-in for VMware VAAI vSphere
Caching and ULP
- Caching techniques
- Protection of data within cache
- Active / active controller configuration
- Unified LUN overview
- Licensing and license installation
- Volume copy
- Foundation and replication items
- Data Transfer Overview and steps
- Manual Data Transport
- Management Functions
- Disaster recovery
- Replication Wizard
MSA Troubleshooting, Upgrading and Best Practices
- Basic troubleshooting techniques
- Diagnostic LEDs descriptions and analysis
- How to obtain controller log files
- Log files content and details
- Email and SNMP notifications
- SMU Fault Isolation
- Troubleshooting links
- Best practice considerations
- Data-in-place upgrade to MSA x040
- Additional Resources
Replacing array component procedures
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.