There are no formal prerequisites for Cisco Certified DevNet Associate certification, but you should make sure to have a good understanding of the exam topics before taking the exam.
And before taking this course, you should have:
- Basic computer literacy
- Basic PC operating system navigation skills
- Basic Internet usage skills
- Hands-on experience with a programming language (specifically Python)
Cisco learning resources that can help you prepare:
- Explore the DevNet Certification area for specific topics and labs related to this course and certification: https://developer.cisco.com/certification/
Delegates will learn how to
- Describe the importance of APIs and use of version control tools in modern software development
- Describe common processes and practices used in software development
- Describe options for organizing and constructing modular software
- Describe HTTP concepts and how they apply to network-based APIs
- Apply Representational State Transfer (REST) concepts to integration with HTTP-based APIs
- Describe Cisco platforms and their capabilities
- Describe programmability features of different Cisco platforms
- Describe basic networking concepts and interpret simple network topology
- Describe interaction of applications with the network and tools used for troubleshooting issues
- Apply concepts of model-driven programmability to automate common tasks with Python scripts
- Identify common application deployment models and components in the development pipeline
- Describe common security concerns and types of tests, and utilize containerization for local development
- Utilize tools to automate infrastructure through scripting and model-driven programmability
This class includes lecture sections and self-study sections. In instructor-led classes, lectures are delivered in real-time, either in person or via video conferencing. In e-learning courses, the lectures are on recorded videos. In both versions, you will need to review self-study sections on your own before taking the certification exam.
- Lecture: Practicing Modern Software Development
- Self-study: Describing Software Development Process
- Self-study: Designing Software
- Lecture: Introducing Network-Based APIs
- Lecture: Consuming REST-Based APIs
- Lecture: Employing Programmability on Cisco Platforms
- Self-study: Introducing Cisco Platforms
- Self-study: Describing IP Networks (ELT only)
- Lecture: Relating Network and Applications
- Lecture: Employing Model-Driven Programmability with YANG
- Lecture: Deploying Applications
- Lecture: Testing and Securing Applications
- Lecture: Automating Infrastructure
- Parse API Data Formats with Python
- Use Git for Version Control
- Identify Software Architecture and Design Patterns on a Diagram
- Implement Singleton Pattern and Abstraction-Based Method
- Inspect HTTP Protocol Messages
- Use Postman
- Troubleshoot an HTTP Error Response
- Utilize APIs with Python
- Use the Cisco Controller APIs
- Use the Cisco Webex Teams™ Collaboration API
- Interpret a Basic Network Topology Diagram
- Identify the Cause of Application Connectivity Issues
- Perform Basic Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF) Operations
- Use Cisco Software Development Kit (SDK) and Python for Automation Scripting
- Utilize Bash Commands for Local Development
- Construct a Python Unit Test
- Interpret a Dockerfile
- Utilize Docker Commands to Manage Local Developer Environment
- Exploit Insufficient Parameter Sanitization
- Construct Infrastructure Automation Workflow
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.