- Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality.
- Working knowledge of Transact-SQL. (equivalent knowledge to QATSQL and QATSQLPLUS)
- Working knowledge of relational databases.
- Some experience with database design.
Delegates will learn how to
- Design and implement SQL Instances
- Authenticate and authorize users
- Assign server and database roles
- Authorize users to access resources
- Protect data with encryption and auditing
- Describe recovery models and backup strategies
- Backup SQL Server databases
- Restore SQL Server databases
- Automate database management
- Configure security for the SQL Server agent
- Manage alerts and notifications
- Manage on-going SQL Database maintenance
- Securing SQL data
- Introduction to the SQL Server Platform
- Overview of SQL Server Architecture
- Lab A: Review and record SQL Server Setup
- Lab B: Designing instance requirements
- Considerations for Installing SQL Server
- tempdb Files
- Installing SQL Server
- Automating Installation
- Upgrading SQL Server
- LAB A: Installing SQL Server
- LAB B: Unattended install
- Introduction to Data Storage with SQL Server
- Managing Storage for System Databases
- Managing Storage for User Databases
- Moving and Copying Database Files
- SQL Server Transaction logs
- Ensuring database integrity
- Maintaining indexes
- LAB A: Create and alter a database
- LAB B: Reconfigure storage for a database
- LAB C: Managing transaction logs
- LAB D: Review index fragmentation
- Backup Types
- Managing Database Backups
- Advanced Database Options
- Understanding the Restore Process
- Restoring Databases
- Advanced Restore Scenarios
- Point-in-time Recovery
- LAB A: Backup a database and log
- LAB B: Review backups made
- LAB C: Restore a corrupt database
- LAB D: Design a backup strategy
- Authenticating Connections to SQL Server
- Authorizing Logins to Connect to Databases
- Authorization Across Servers
- Partially Contained Databases
- LAB A: Create logins for a SQL instance
- LAB B: Create users
- LAB C: Add a linked server
- LAB D: Add contained users
- Working with Server Roles
- Working with Fixed Database Roles
- User-Defined Database Roles
- LAB A: Maintain server roles
- LAB B: Assigning database roles
- LAB C: Use an application role
- Authorizing User Access to Objects
- Authorizing Users to Execute Code
- Configuring Permissions at the Schema Level
- LAB A: Securing database objects
- LAB B: Using schemas
- Protecting at row and column levels
- Column level permissions
- Row-level security
- Dynamic data masking
- Auditing data changes
- Auditing with Triggers
- Auditing with Temporal Tables
- Managing SQL Server Audit
- Introduction to SQL Server Audit
- Defining a Server Audit
- Creating Server and database Audit Specifications
- Audit-Related Dynamic Management Views and System Views
- Custom Audit Events
- Protecting Data with Encryption
- Transparent Data Encryption
- Moving Encrypted Databases
- Introduction to Always Encrypted
- Adding encryption keys
- Implementing always encrypted
- LAB A: Row and column security
- LAB B: Implement a temporal table
- LAB C: Auditing table operations
- LAB D: Implement transparent database encryption
- LAB E: Using Always Encrypted
- Automating SQL Server Management
- Understanding SQL Server Agent Security
- Overview of Security in SQL Server Agent
- SQL Server Agent Roles
- Assigning Security Contexts to SQL Server Agent Job Steps
- Overview of database mail
- Managing Credentials
- Managing Proxy Accounts
- Configuring Jobs
- Configuring Operators
- Configuring Alerts
- Configuring multi-server jobs
- LAB A: SQL Agent and Database Mail setup
- LAB B: Credentials and proxies
- LAB C: Implementing jobs
- LAB D: Implementing alerts
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.