During this three-day course, you focus on installing VMware Tanzu™ Kubernetes Grid™ on a VMware vSphere® environment and then provisioning and managing Tanzu Kubernetes clusters. The concepts learned in this course should be transferable for users who need to install Tanzu Kubernetes Grid on other supported clouds.
• Understanding of Kubernetes and the Kubernetes cluster architecture
• Experience working with the Kubernetes API
Delegates will learn how to
• Describe Tanzu Kubernetes Grid
• Differentiate between the Kubernetes life cycle management options in the VMware Tanzu portfolio
• Explain how to prepare a vSphere environment to install Tanzu Kubernetes Grid
• Describe how to initialize a Tanzu Kubernetes Grid instance
• Detail how to create Tanzu Kubernetes clusters
• Explain how to deploy the Tanzu Kubernetes Grid extensions on a Tanzu Kubernetes cluster
• Describe how to troubleshoot a Tanzu Kubernetes Grid instance
1 Course Introduction
• Introductions and course logistics
• Course objectives
2 Introducing VMware Tanzu Kubernetes Grid
• Describe the VMware Tanzu products responsible for Kubernetes life cycle management
• Describe the Tanzu Kubernetes Grid concepts
• Describe the components of a Tanzu Kubernetes Grid instance
• Describe the Tanzu CLI
• List the requirements for a bootstrap machine
• Describe the Carvel Tool Set
• Describe Cluster API
• List the infrastructure providers
• Detail the Cluster API controllers
• List the Cluster API Custom Resource Definitions
3 Management Cluster
• Describe the vSphere requirements for deploying a management cluster
• List the differences between deploying on vSphere 6.7 Update 3 and vSphere 7
• Describe the NSX Advanced Load Balancer components
• Explain how Tanzu Kubernetes Grid integrates with NSX Advanced Load Balancer
• Describe how Kubernetes manages authentication
• Explain what Pinniped is
• Explain what Dex is
• Describe the Pinniped authentication workflow
• List the steps to install a Tanzu Kubernetes Grid management cluster
• Describe what happens when a management cluster is created
• Describe the commands available for working with management clusters
4 Tanzu Kubernetes Clusters
• Describe the steps to build a custom image
• Describe the available customizations
• Describe the options for deploying Tanzu Kubernetes clusters
• Describe how Tanzu Kubernetes clusters are created
• Describe the commands available for working with Tanzu Kubernetes clusters
• Describe the VMs that make up a Tanzu Kubernetes cluster
• Describe the pods that run on a Tanzu Kubernetes cluster
• Describe the Tanzu Kubernetes Grid core add-ons that are installed on a cluster
5 Configuring and Managing Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Instances
• Describe the Tanzu Kubernetes Grid extensions
• Describe the Harbor Image Registry
• Describe Fluent Bit
• Detail the logs that Fluent Bit collects
• Describe basic Fluent Bit configuration
• Describe the Contour ingress controller
• Explain how to install Contour on a Tanzu Kubernetes cluster
• Describe Service Discovery
• Describe External DNS
• Detail the configuration options for BIND servers
• Describe Prometheus
• Describe Grafana
6 Troubleshooting Tanzu Kubernetes Grid
• Describe the various Tanzu Kubernetes Grid logs
• Identify the location of Tanzu Kubernetes Grid logs
• Describe the purpose of Crash Diagnostics
• Describe how to use SSH to connect to a Tanzu Kubernetes VM
• Detail the steps to troubleshoot a failed cluster deployment
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.