This five-day course teaches you advanced skills for configuring and maintaining a highly available and scalable virtual infrastructure. Through a mix of lecture and hands-on labs, you configure and optimize the VMware vSphere 8 features that build a foundation for a truly scalable infrastructure. You also discuss when and where these features have the greatest effect. Attend this course to deepen your understanding of vSphere and learn how its advanced features and controls can benefit your organization.
This course is also available in an On Demand format. For more information, select this link: VMware vSphere: Operate, Scale and Secure [V8] - On Demand.
- VMware ESXi 8.0
- VMware vCenter 8.0
This course requires the following:
- Attend VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V8]
- Equivalent knowledge and administration experience with ESXi and vCenter
- Experience with working at the command line is highly recommended.
Delegates will learn how to
By the end of the course, you should be able to meet the following objectives:
- Configure and manage a VMware Tools Repository
- Configure vSphere Replication and recover replicated VMs
- Manage VM resource usage with resource pools
- Configure and manage vSphere networking and storage for a large and sophisticated enterprise
- Configure VMware vCenter Server® High Availability
- Use host profiles to manage VMware ESXi™ 8 host compliance
- Use the vSphere Client and the command line to manage certificates
- Monitor the vCenter, ESXi, and VMs performance in the vSphere client
- Secure VMware vCenter® 8, ESXi, and VMs in your vSphere environment
- Use Identity Federation to configure the vCenter to use external identity sources
- Use VMware vSphere® Trust Authority™ secure the infrastructure for encrypted VMs
1 Course Introduction
- Introductions and course logistics
- Course objectives
2 Virtual Machine Operations
- Recognize the role of a VMware Tools™ Repository
- Configure a VMware Tools Repository
- Recognize the backup and restore solution for VMs
- Identify the components in the VMware vSphere® Replication™ architecture
- Deploy and configure vSphere Replication and VMware Site Recovery™ instances
- Recover replicated VMs
3 vSphere Cluster Operations
- Create and manage resource pools in a cluster
- Describe how scalable shares work
- Describe the function of the vCLS
- Recognize operations that might disrupt the healthy functioning of vCLS VMs
4 Network Operations
- Configure and manage vSphere distributed switches
- Describe how VMware vSphere® Network I/O Control enhances performance
- Explain distributed switch features such as port mirroring and NetFlow
- Define vSphere Distributed Services Engine
- Describe the use cases and benefits of VMware vSphere® Distributed Services Engine™
5 Storage Operations
- Discuss vSphere support for NVMe and iSER technologies
- Describe the architecture and requirements of vSAN configuration
- Describe storage policy-based management
- Recognize components in the VMware vSphere® Virtual Volumes™ architecture
- Configure Storage I/O Control
6 vCenter and ESXi Operations
- Create a vCenter backup schedule
- Recognize the importance of vCenter High Availability
- Explain how vCenter Server High Availability works
- Use host profiles to manage ESXi configuration compliance
- Recognize the benefits of using configuration profiles
- Use the vSphere client and the command line to manage certificates
7 vSphere Monitoring
- Monitor the key factors that can affect a virtual machine's performance
- Describe the factors that influence vCenter performance
- Use vCenter tools to monitor resource use
- Create custom alarms in vCenter
- Describe the benefits and capabilities of VMware Skyline™
- Recognize uses for VMware Skyline Advisor™ Pro
8 vSphere Security and Access Control
- Recognize strategies for securing vSphere components, such as vCenter, ESXi hosts, and virtual machines
- Describe vSphere support for security standards and protocols
- Describe identity federation and recognize its use cases
- Configure identity federation to allow vCenter to use an external identity provider
9 vSphere Trusted Environments and VM Encryption
- Configure ESXi Host Access and Authentication
- Describe virtual machine security features
- Describe the components of a VM encryption architecture
- Create, manage, and migrate encrypted VMs
- List VM encryption events and alarms
- Describe the benefits and use cases of vSphere Trust Authority
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.