This five-day, hands-on training course provides you with the knowledge and skills to deploy a VMware vRealize® Operations™ cluster that meets the monitoring requirements of your environment. This course includes advanced capabilities such as customizing alerts, views, reports, and dashboards and explains the architecture in vRealize Operations. This course explains application monitoring, certificates, capacity and cost concepts, and workload optimization with real-world use cases. This course covers troubleshooting using the workbench, alerts, and redefined dashboards and describes how to manage compliance and configurations. This course also covers several management packs.
Before taking this course, you must complete at least one the following:
• VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage
• 6 months hands-on vRealize Operations experience
Delegates will learn how to
• List the vRealize Operations use cases
• Identify features and benefits of vRealize Operations
• Determine the vRealize Operations cluster that meets your monitoring requirements
• Deploy and configure a vRealize Operations cluster
• Use interface features to assess and troubleshoot operational issues
• Describe vRealize Operations certificates
• Create policies to meet the operational needs of your environment
• Recognize effective ways to optimize performance, capacity, and cost in data centers
• Troubleshoot and manage problems using workbench, alerts, and predefined dashboards
• Manage configurations
• Configure application monitoring using VMware vRealize® Application Remote Collector™
• Create custom symptoms and alert definitions, reports, and views
• Create various custom dashboards using the dashboard creation canvas
• Configure widgets and widget interactions for dashboards
• Create super metrics
• Set up users and user groups for controlled access to your environment
• Extend the capabilities of vRealize Operations by adding management packs and configuring solutions
• Monitor the health of the vRealize Operations cluster by using self-monitoring dashboards
1 Course Introduction
• Introduction and course logistics
• Course objectives
2 Introduction to vRealize Operations
• List the vRealize Operations use cases
• Access the vRealize Operations User Interface (UI)
3 vRealize Operations Architecture
• Identify the functions of components in a vRealize Operations node
• Identify the types of nodes and their role in a vRealize Operations cluster
• Outline how high availability is achieved in vRealize Operations
• List the components required to enable Continuous Availability (CA)
4 Deploying vRealize Operations
• Design and size a vRealize Operations cluster
• Deploy a vRealize Operations node
• Install a vRealize Operations instance
• Describe the different vRealize Operations deployment scenarios
5 vRealize Operations Concepts
• Identify the product UI components
• Create and use tags to group objects
• Use a custom group to group objects
6 vRealize Operations Policies and Certificate Management
• Describe the vRealize Operations certificates
• Create policies for the various types of workloads
• Explain how policy inheritance works
7 Capacity Optimization
• Define the capacity planning terms
• Explain the capacity planning models
• Assess the overall capacity of a data center and identify the optimization recommendations
8 What-If Scenarios and Costing in vRealize Operations
• Run what-if scenarios for adding workloads to a data center
• Discuss the types of cost drivers in vRealize Operations
• Assess the cost of your data center inventory
9 Performance Optimization
• Introduction to performance optimization
• Define the business and operational intentions for a data center
• Automate the process of optimizing and balancing workloads in data centers
• Report the results of the optimization potential
10 Troubleshooting and Managing Configurations
• Describe the troubleshooting workbench
• Recognize how to troubleshoot problems by monitoring alerts
• Use step-by-step workflows to troubleshoot the different vSphere objects
• Assess your environment’s compliance to standards
• View the configurations of vSphere objects in your environment
11 Application Monitoring in vRealize Operations
• Describe the native service discovery and application monitoring features
• Configure the application monitoring
• Monitor the operating systems and applications by using vRealize Application Remote Collector
12 Custom Alert, Views, and Reports
• Create the symptom definitions
• Create the recommendations, actions, and notifications
• Create the alert definitions that monitor resource demand in hosts and VMs
• Build and use the custom views in your environment
• Create the custom reports for presenting data about your environment
13 Custom Dashboards
• Create the dashboards that use the predefined and custom widgets
• Configure the widgets to interact with the other widgets and other dashboards
• Configure the Scoreboard widget to use a metric configuration file
• Manage the dashboards by grouping dashboards and sharing dashboards with users
14 Super Metrics
• Recognize the different types of super metrics
• Create super metrics and associate them with objects
• Enable super metrics in policies
15 User Access Control
• Recognize how users are authorized to access objects
• Determine privilege priorities when a user has multiple privileges
• Import users and user groups from an LDAP source
16 Extending and Managing a vRealize Operations Deployment
• Identify the available management packs in VMware Marketplace™
• Monitor the health of a vRealize Operations cluster
• Generate a support bundle
• View the vRealize Operations log files and audit reports
• Perform the vRealize Operations cluster management tasks
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.