During this five-day course, you focus on installing, configuring, and managing VMware vRealize® Automation™. You learn about how vRealize Automation can be used to automate the delivery of virtual machines, applications, and personalized IT services across different data centers and hybrid cloud environments.
The course covers how to manage both on-premise systems and cloud services. The course covers how vRealize Automation Service Broker can aggregate content in native formats from multiple clouds and platforms into a common catalog.
This course also covers interfacing vRealize Automation with other systems using VMware vRealize® Orchestrator™ and how to use vRealize Automation to manage Kubernetes systems and leverage other systems. The course also covers integrating with Terraform and using SaltStack as a configuration management tool.
This course makes heavy use of hands-on labs. Students can run 39 labs during the 5-day course.
This course requires completion of one of the following courses:
• VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage
• VMware vSphere: Fast Track
Experience working at the command line is helpful.
Delegates will learn how to
• Describe the vRealize Automation architecture and use cases in cloud environments
• Manage vRealize Automation entities on VMware and third-party virtual and cloud infrastructures
• Configure and manage Cloud Accounts, Projects, Flavor Mappings, Image Mappings, Network Profiles,
Storage Profiles, Volumes, Tags, and Services
• Create, modify, manage, and deploy Cloud Templates
• Connect to a Kubernetes Cluster and manage namespaces
• Customize services and virtual machines with cloudConfig
• Configure and manage the Service Broker
• Configure and manage ABX actions, custom properties, event broker subscriptions, and vRealize
• Integrate with vRealize Orchestrator
• Install vRealize Automation with Lifecycle Configuration Manager
• Describe Cloud Automation Services (Cloud Assembly and Code Stream).
• Integrate Cloud Assembly with Terraform and SaltStack
• Use logs and CLI commands to monitor and troubleshoot vRealize Automation
1 Course Introduction
• Introductions and course logistics
• Course objectives
2 vRealize Automation Overview and Architecture
• Describe the purpose and functionality of vRealize Automation
• Describe the vRealize Automation architecture
• Describe the use of VMware Workspace ONE® AccessTM
• Describe the relationship between Kubernetes clusters, containers, and vRealize Automation services
• Describe CLI commands for vRealize Automation 8 cluster management
• Describe Cloud Assembly
• Describe Service Broker
• Describe Code Stream
3 Installing vRealize Automation
• List the different vRealize Automation deployment types
• Describe the purpose of vRealize easy installer
• Describe the vRealize Automation installation process
4 Authentication and Authorization
• Identity the steps involved in integrating Workspace One with Active Directory
• Describe features of Workspace One
• Describe the user roles available in vRealize Automation
• Identify the key tasks performed by each user role
• Define custom roles
• Configure branding and multitenancy
5 Basic Initial Configuration
• Quickly create a basic configuration with a cloud account, cloud zone, project, flavor mapping, and image
6 VMware Cloud Templates
• Configure and deploy a basic cloud template
• Create cloud templates that can run on any cloud
• Use cloudConfig to run commands, install software, and create users
• Use YAML for inputs, variables, and conditional deployments
7 Tags and Storage Configuration
• Configure tags
• Describe different types of tags
• Manage tags
• Configure storage profiles
• Use tags and storage profiles
8 Integrating NSX-T Data Center
• List the capabilities and use cases of NSX-T Data Center
• Describe the NSX-T Data Center architecture and components
• Integrate NSX-T Data Center with vRealize Automation
• List the supported network profiles in vRealize Automation
• Use NSX-T Data Center components to design a multitier application Cloud Template
• Identify the network and security options available in design canvas
• Create and manage on-demand networks and security groups
• Configure NSX-T day 2 actions
9 Integrating with Public Clouds
• Configure and use VMware Cloud Foundation accounts
• Configure and use an AWS cloud account
• Configure and use an Azure cloud account
• Configure and use a Google Cloud Platform cloud account
10 Using Service Broker for Catalog Management
• Release a VMware Cloud Template™
• Define content source and content sharing
• Define Service Broker policy enforcement
• Use custom forms for catalog items
11 vRealize Automation Extensibility
• Describe Extensibility
• Use event topics
• Create a subscription
• Call a vRealize Orchestrator workflow
• Create ABX actions
12 Using Code Stream
• Introduction to Code Stream
• The CI/CD process
• Integrate GitLab with Code Stream and Cloud Assembly
• Use Code Stream to install software
13 Using Terraform
• Integrate Cloud Assembly with Terraform
• Use Terraform with a VMware Cloud Template
• Use Terraform with Code Stream
14 Using Kubernetes Clusters
• Introduction to Kubernetes
• Connect to an existing Kubernetes Cluster
• Integrate VMware Tanzu™ Grid Integrated Edition
• Create a Supervisor Namespace as a catalog item
15 Using SaltStack for Configuration Management
• Introduction SaltStack with vRealize Automation
• Use SaltStack for software deployment
• Use SaltStack for configuration management
• Use SaltStack with event-driven orchestration
16 vRealize Automation Troubleshooting and Integration
• Location of logs
• Using Activity
• Monitoring deployment history
• Basic troubleshooting
• CLI commands
• Collecting logs (VAMI console)
• Integration with VMware vRealize® Log Insight™
• Integration with vRealize Operations
• Migrating vRealize Automation 7.x to 8
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.