The APM Project Management Qualification (SCQF Level 7) is a knowledge-based qualification. It enables you to demonstrate knowledge of all elements of project management. PMQ holders can demonstrate an understanding of how these elements interact and how your project fits into your organisation’s strategic and commercial environment.
In this 0.5-day workshop, you will develop a good understanding of the different question types that are asked in the PMQ examination and what constitutes a good (and bad) answer.
What Can the PMQ Do for You?
Project professionals who have recognised skills and experience can find exciting, highly visible opportunities across a wide range of fields. The qualification is designed to provide you with proven, practical, knowledge and skills that are essential for the effective management of projects. The skills and knowledge you gain will help you avoid costly mistakes and increase your competitive edge in the project management profession.
- Hold a globally recognised project management qualification
- Build a solid foundation for future project management development
- Develop the language and skills that are used across a wide range of project management concepts
APM suggest that PMQ candidates will spend on average 56 hours of study before attempting the exam. Attendees on this workshop should have already completed this level of study – either from attending a prior PMQ certification course or completing a comprehensive eLearning programme. The focus of this workshop is on honing your exam technique, not transferring new knowledge of the tools and techniques listed in the PMQ syllabus.
The workshop is also suitable for candidates who have unfortunately been unsuccessful on a previous attempt at the PMQ examination.
Note that PMQ is targeted at project professionals who have at least two years of experience in leading and delivering projects.
Through attending this workshop will develop a good understanding of:
- Common reasons for poor exam performance – we list the key reasons that APM have identified as being present in many unsuccessful candidates’ answers
- Effective time management – we explain how to ensure that you complete all 10 questions in the allocated time of 3 hours.
- Making best use of the 15 minutes reading time – APM has stated that unsuccessful candidates do not spend their reading time wisely. This workshop shall explain how to use this time to your best advantage – identifying the 10 questions that are most suitable for you to answer.
- PMQ question types – we critique good and bad examples of real answers for each of the command verbs that are present in the PMQ exam:
- Explain - Give an account of the purpose(s) or reason(s) for a project management practice, its importance, and benefits
- Describe - Give an account of the relevant characteristics, features, qualities, and events relating to a project management concept
- Differentiate - Recognise or determine what makes something different, the reasons for the difference and why these differences are important
- Interpret - Translate information/data into another form to aid understanding or to inform a future action
- State / outline - Set out the main points/characteristics of a project management concept
- PMQ Marking guide – we explain how the exam is marked by APM and discuss each category from ‘incorrect response’ to ‘solid understanding’
The APM PMQ examination itself does not form part of this workshop. Learners are expected to self-book the exam on a date that is suitable for you.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.