The Oracle Solaris 11 System Administration training covers the full range of introductory system administration tasks on Oracle Solaris 11.3 OS. The topics covered range from installing the operating system on a single system, to monitoring and basic troubleshooting. The Oracle Solaris 11 System Administration course is designed to provide new system administrators, as well as enterprise system administrators who are new to the Oracle Solaris 11 Operating System, with the skills they need to perform their job tasks successfully and efficiently.
- Perform software installation and software package updates.
- Manage services, processes and access controls.
- Administer data storage, zones, network and users.
Benefits to You
The course provides an intensive hands-on experience for key system administration tasks with the goal of making the system administrator job-ready.
- Basic UNIX skills
- UNIX and Linux Essentials
- System Administrator
- Support Engineer
Please note: In order to provision you with your courseware and lab access for this course QA must share several items of basic personal information with our partner (usually your full name and email address). For more information on this please visit our QA Partner data sharing page. If you have any questions or concerns please contact your QA account manager.
Delegates will learn how to
- Administer the Oracle Solaris 11 Host on an Existing Network
- Administer Oracle Solaris Zones
- Control Access to Systems and Files
- Install Oracle Solaris 11 Operating System
- Administer User Accounts
- Administer System Processes and Schedule System Tasks
- Manage Data by Using ZFS
- Manage Boot and Shutdown of a System
- Administer Services by Using SMF
- Administer Software Packages by Using IPS and Manage Boot Environments
- Update the OS by using IPS
Installing Oracle Solaris 11 Operating System
- Introduction to Oracle Solaris 11 OS
- Planning for Oracle Solaris 11 OS installation
- Installing Oracle Solaris 11 OS by Using the Live Media Installer
- Installing Oracle Solaris 11 OS Using the Text Installer
- Verifying the OS Installation
Managing Boot and Shutdown of Systems
- Analyze the boot design and boot process
- Boot a SPARC-based system
- Boot an x86-based system
- Shut down a system
Administering Services by Using SMF
- Describing SMF and its components
- Administering SMF Services
Administering Software Packages by Using IPS and Managing Boot Environments
- Describing IPS, its components, and interfaces
- Configuring an IPS Client to Access the Local IPS Repository
- Managing Package Publishers
- Managing Software Packages
- Managing Signed Packages and Package Properties
- Describe the use of IPS in packaging the Oracle Solaris OS
- Manage boot environments
- Updating the OS by using IPS
Managing Data by Using ZFS
- Introducing ZFS
- Administering ZFS Storage Pools
- Administering ZFS File Systems
- Administering ZFS Properties
- Administering ZFS Snapshots and Clones
Administering the Network
- Reviewing Networking Fundamentals
- Administering Datalink Configuration
- Administering a Network Interface
- Administering Profile-Based Network Configuration
- Configuring a Virtual Network
- Verifying the Network Operations
- Managing Resources on the Virtual Network
Administering Oracle Solaris Zones
- Introducing Oracle Solaris Zones
- Configuring an Oracle Solaris Zone
- Determining an Oracle Solaris Zone Configuration
Controlling Access to Systems and Files
- Controlling Access to Systems
- Controlling Access to Files
- Securing Access to Remote Host
Administering User Accounts
- Getting Started with the User Administration
- Setting Up User Accounts
- Maintaining User Accounts
- Configuring User Disk Quotas
Managing System Processes and System Tasks
- Managing System Processes
- Scheduling System Administration Tasks
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.