This is the first of a two part series of courses examining the data tools and features found in Microsoft Excel 2016 Professional and Pro Plus*.
The course is designed to examine a combination of new and revised features which are available to help you work with data in Microsoft Excel 2016. Features covered range from data importing to analysis leading to subsequent output in Excel. Analysis and outputs include data and graphical tools available in Microsoft Excel 2016.
*Some of the tools and features are only available in Microsoft Excel 2016 and include add-ins. This course is not suitable for anyone using Microsoft Excel Standard, Home or Student Editions.
Anyone who needs to work with Excel in order to connect to, arrange, prepare, process, analyse and display data in order to produce suitable output and views of data for use at all levels within an organisation.
It is assumed that the attendees on the course have existing Excel skills which at the very minimum meet the prerequisites listed.
- Please note that this course is not suitable for new Excel users
- An understanding of basic data concepts
- Ability to create, format and save worksheets and workbooks
- Be able to create formulas using standard aggregate function
Dual monitor setup is required for when attending this course via the QA Attend from Anywhere delivery method.
- Import data into Excel 2016
- Create connections to external data sources
- Use Workbook Analysis
- Utilise new Excel 2016 features to analyse data
- Present external and Excel based organisational data using a combination of graphical and data views
Lesson 1: Getting the Data to your Workbook
- Import or Connection
- Data from other Excel Sources
- Retrieving Data from other Applications
- Using Web Based Data
Lesson 2: Preparing Data for Analysis
- Data Cleansing and Manipulation Tools
- Introduction to Data Tables
- Creating Data Models and Data Relationships
- Workbook Analysis with Inquire
Lesson 3: Using Data Tables, Slicers and Functions
- Use Data Table and Slicers
- Analysis with Excel Functions and Data Validation
Lesson 4: Working with Data Visually
- Quick Data Analysis
- Conditional Formatting
- Visualise Trends with Sparklines
- Using Charts, Exploring Chart Types and Options
- Lines, Up/Down Bars, Error Bars and Trendlines
- Create a Forecast Sheet
Lesson 5: PivotCharts
- Introduction to PivotTable Principles
- Create PivotCharts from a Table
- Creating Decoupled PivotCharts from a Connection or Data Model
- Filtering the Data using Slicers and Timelines
Lesson 6: Power View Reports
- Creating Power View Reports
- Using Tables, Cards and Matrices
- Charting in Power View Reports
- Mapping Geo-Data
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.