These courses are being delivered by an IBM Global Training Provider
Learn to implement advanced PowerVM features such as Active Memory Sharing, Shared Dedicated Processors, Multiple Shared Processor Pools, N_Port Virtualization, and Remote Live Partition Mobility.
This course focuses on the features that relate to the performance of the POWER6 processor, AIX 6.1, and the special monitoring, configuring, and tuning needs of logical partitions (LPARs). This course does not cover application monitoring and tuning.
You will learn skills to implement, measure, analyze, and tune PowerVM virtualization features for optimal performance on IBM System p servers.
You will also learn about the AIX 6.1 performance analysis and tuning tools that enable an administrator to take advantage of the Micro-Partitioning and other virtualization features of the System p servers.
Hands-on lab exercises reinforce each lecture and give the students practical experience.
This course is for anyone responsible for implementing and managing virtualization features on a System p server including:
- AIX technical support individuals
- System administrators
- Systems engineers
- System Architects
Students should complete:
- Power Systems for AIX I: LPAR Planning and Configuration (AN11) or (AX11) or
- Power Systems for AIX - Virtualization I: Implementing Virtualization (AN30) or (AX30)
or have equivalent LPAR skills
Delegates will learn how to
- Describe the effect of the POWER6 virtualization features on performance and monitoring, such as: Simultaneous Multithreading (SMT), Micro-Partitioning, Multiple Shared Processor Pools (MSPP), shared dedicated capacity, Active Memory Sharing (AMS) and other virtualization features
- Interpret the outputs of AIX 6.1performance monitoring and tuning tools used to view the impact of SMT, Micro-Partitioning, additional shared processor pool activations and device virtualization. The tools include: vmstat, iostat, sar, topas, trace, curt, mpstat, lparstat, smtctl
- List various sources of information and support related to AIX 6.1 performance tools, system sizing, system tuning, and AIX 6.1 enhancements and new features
- Perform a Live Partition Mobility between two different POWER6 servers
- Describe the New features available with the Virtual I/O Server version 2.1 and version 2.2 such as: N_port ID Virtualization, Heterogeous Multi-threading, Virtual Tape devices, Active Memory sharing
- Describe and implement the Active Memory Sharing feature
- Unit 1 - PowerVM features Review
- Exercise 1 - Introduction to the Lab environment
- Unit 2 - Processor Virtualization Tuning
- Exercise 2 - SMT and Micro-Partitioning
- Exercise 2 - SMT and Micro-Partitioning (con't)
- Unit 3 - Shared Dedicated Capacity and Multiple Shared Processor Pools
- Exercise 3 - Configuring Multiple Shared Processor Pools
- Unit 4 - Active Memory Sharing
- Exercise 4 - Configuring Active Memory Sharing
- Exercise 4 - Configuring Active Memory Sharing (con't)
- Unit 5 - N_Port ID Virtualization (NPIV)
- Unit 6 - I/O Devices Virtualization Performance and Tuning
- Exercise 6 - Virtual I/O Server, vSCSI, Virtual Ethernet and shared Ethernet Adapter
- Exercise 6 - Virtual I/O Server, vSCSI, Virtual Ethernet and shared Ethernet Adapter (con't)
- Unit 7 - Live Partition Mobility
- Exercise 7 - Live Partition Mobility implementation
- Unit 8 -PowerVM Advanced System Maintenance
- Exercise 8 - PowerVM Maintenance
- Unit 9 - Virtualization Management Tools
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.