This introductory course is designed to help students explore and adopt DevOps in their organizations to improve innovation, agility and quality to support business outcomes.
It addresses the benefits and challenges in evolving a DevOps approach to the application and service development lifecycle.
- Senior IT management (CIO/CTO), IT managers, IT development staff, IT operations staff, IT process owners, business managers, business process owners
- Individuals who require an understanding of DevOps and how it can contribute to the success of the business within an organization
- IT professionals and teams implementing DevOps
Certifications and related examinations
- This course prepares students for the EXIN DevOps Professional Examination.
- This course is also accredited by DevOps Agile Skills Association (DASA)
Before attending this course, students should consider the following:
- The official reference to the examination: The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations by Gene Kim, Jez Humble, Patrick Debois, John Willis (recommended for all students)
- Understanding of Agile software development is beneficial, but not required.
- Understanding of the IT service lifecycle/ITIL is beneficial, but not required
Delegates will learn how to
On successful completion of this course, candidates can expect to gain knowledge of:
What DevOps is and Who Needs It
Goals and Business Benefits of DevOps
How DevOps fits with ITIL
Changes Required for DevOps
- Changes to Job Roles, Culture, Skills, Metrics
- Changes to Processes
- Changes to Tools, Infrastructure & Technology
DevOps Principles and Techniques
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery/Continuous Deployment
- The Three Ways (Flow, Feedback, Continuous Learning)
How to Begin the DevOps Journey
Where to Start and How to Scale
DevOps Maturity Models
Prepare for the EXIN DevOps Professional Exam
Module 1: DevOps Adoption:
• Describe the basic reasons for DevOps adoption
• DevOps myths
• History of DevOps
• Bi-model IT
• Introduction to Agile
• Principles of the Three Ways
Module 2: Culture and People:
• Focus on business outcomes
• Explain how the several DevOps roles work together to add value to the business
• Explain the differences between I-shape, T-shape and E-shape in relationship to DevOps
• Explain how to integrate operations into the daily work of development
Module 3: DevOps Principles and Concepts:
• Infrastructure as code
• Immutable vs mutable servers
• Cloud concepts
• Microservices versus monolithic services
• Configuration management practice
• Service level management practice
Module 4: The First Way: The Technical Practice of Flow:
• Visualizing work
• Kanban, handoff reduction, waste reduction
• Deployment pipeline
• Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD)
• Software development and management practice
• Automated testing
• Deployment management practice
• Release management practice
Module 5: The Second Way: Feedback:
• Feedback loops, swarming, andon
• Hypothesis-driven development
• Code review techniques
• Launch readiness
• Low-risk releases
Module 6: The Third Way: Continuous Leaning and Experimentation:
• Explain how continual improvement helps an organization
• Understand and conduct a blameless post-mortem
• Differentiate between the several Simian Army Monkey types to improve learning
• Explain how injection of production failure creates resilience
• Explain when to use game days
• Explain Kaizen Blitz
Module 7: Information Security, Change Enablement, and Governance
Module 8: Where to Start:
Exam preparation and review
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.