This two-day instructor-led course provides delegates with the knowledge and skills to produce reports using Report Builder. The course focuses on teaching individuals how to use the product features and tools related to data retrieval, visualisations and deployment.
Please note - This course covers Report Builder 2.0 and 3.0, for SQL Server 2008 R2 and 2012.
For enterprise Report Designers the M6236 course may be better suited as it covers report designer within Visual Studio, building report models, security and report server maintenance.
There is no exam or certificaton related to this course.
This course is intended for end users who will produce reports for their department or group.
- Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality. (Use windows explorer / internet explorer (i.e. things like find web page , create a folder); Login (CTRL ALT DELETE); Use a mouse, start menu etc.)
- Knowledge of Transact-SQL and MDX queries would be an advantage but not essential.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Publish reports to a report server
- Create data sources and data sets
- Work with tablix reports
- Work with report visualisations
- Add interactivity to reports
- Use Report Builder v3.0 functionality.
Module 1 : Overview of Report Builder
Module 2 : Adding data sources and data sets
- Use various data sources and data sets including TSQL and MDX
- Set source connection and credentials
Module 3 : Tabular Reports
- Set page and report settings
- Review the different tabular report data regions (table, matrix and list)
- Set textbox properties such as number formatting
- Set table sorting and interactive sorting
- Add groups to columns and rows
- Add a document map
- Add interactivity with expand and collapse using hide and show
Module 4 : Visualisations
- Review chart types available
Add visualisations to a report
Module 5 : Interactivity
- Add parameters
- Linked parameters
Module 6 : Report Builder 3.0 features
- Add maps
- Data bars
- Shared data sets
- Report parts