This course is delivered by a QA partner who is accredited by the BCS and covers the SAM processes as described in the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) V.3 Guide to Software Asset Management and addresses the complex subject of managing software assets from the initial business need, through the SAM lifecycle, up to and including retirement. The qualification also covers the interdependencies between IT Service Management Principles and SAM, and provides delegates with a comprehensive overview of the key areas of SAM and will assist even seasoned practitioners with its structured approach to SAM. On the final afternoon delegates will be prepared to sit the 1 hour examination, set and facilitated by BCS.
BCS Certificate in Software Asset Management Essentials
Candidates should have 1-2 years experience in IT and be involved in the management or procurement of software. They should also have a good awareness of IT Service Management terminology and concepts. Candidates will be greatly advantaged if they already hold the Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management.
Who Should Attend?
The course will benefit anyone who is involved, or is about to be involved, in the SAM process e.g. IT Managers (and others working in the IT department), IT Auditors and Software Compliance Officers and who would like to understand:
- The objectives and major activities required to implement SAM
- The SAM techniques and processes
- The support tools and techniques available for the implementation of SAM and be able to indicate how possible improvements can be made
- The management of software assets through stages of their lifecycle and the preparation and distribution of SAM reports and plans throughout the organisation
- describe the objectives and major activities required to implement SAM
- explain and use SAM techniques and processes
- be aware of the support tools and techniques available for the implementation of SAM and be able to indicate how possible improvements can be made
- manage software assets through the stages of their lifecycle
- prepare and distribute SAM reports and plans throughout the organisation.
SAM: Introduction, principles and impacts
- Activities involved in SAM
- Development and evolution of SAM
- Need for SAM and principles involved
- Plans to the approach to the implementation of SAM
- Potential benefits, costs and problems associated with software and its usage
- Organisational risks associated with software and its usage
- Special characteristics of software assets and software licenses
- SAM processes and potential areas of weakness
- Software supply chain and the roles of the organisations involved.
Business case for SAM
- Considerations and the content of a SAM business case
- Obtaining appropriate information to produce a SAM business case
- Production of a SAM business case.
SAM roles and responsibilities
- Defining and agreeing roles and responsibilities
- Organisational factors to be considered
- Specific responsibilities inc audit, reconciliation work and contract management.
The SAM process
- Overall SAM process framework
- Stages in the lifecycle of software assets
- SAM processes groups and policies and procedures required.
Implementation of SAM
- Stages and activities involved including initiation
- Outline plan for the implementation of SAM
- Resource requirements of product and business as usual activities.
Tools and techniques
- Types of SAM tools and their usage
- Criteria, justification, selection and procurement of appropriate tools
- Management and maintenance of SAM information.
- SAM related reports required throughout the organisation
- Measurements, metrics and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) of SAM
- Report analysis and instigation of process improvements.
Interfaces and dependencies
- Interfaces with other IT and Service Management processes
- Inter dependencies of one on the other.
This is a QA approved partner course
Face-to-face learning in the comfort of our quality nationwide centres, with free refreshments and Wi-Fi.
Find dates and prices
We have 2 courses available across 2 locations on 2 different dates
EastCall us on 0113 220 7150 to discuss availability in this region.Contact us
London1 Location / 1 courseView dates
Midlands1 Location / 1 courseView dates
NorthCall us on 0113 220 7150 to discuss availability in this region.Contact us
ScotlandCall us on 0113 220 7150 to discuss availability in this region.Contact us
SouthCall us on 0113 220 7150 to discuss availability in this region.Contact us
Attend from AnywhereCall us on 0113 220 7150 to discuss availability in this region.Contact us
All locations2 Locations / 2 coursesView dates
Fully accredited to ensure we provide the highest possible standards in learning