QA Total Learning™ is our newest and most effective way to learn.
Combining the best of digital and live learning, with access to world-class industry experts, we focus on ensuring you can apply your learning to help you drive impactful results in your workplace. What's more, our digital platform gives you the tools to track your progress and manage your own learning.
If you are looking to start a journey in application development, scripting, or data analysis using the Python programming language, then this Total Learning course is for you.
In this Total Learning course, you will learn everything you need in order to develop fully functional Python applications, as well as gain a broader context of its supporting concepts, such as source control and best practice. By the end of this course, you will be able to use Python to create simple programs, scripts, or data analysis tools.
Python is one of the industry’s most popular, prevalent, and diverse programming languages. Even if you have little experience in programming languages, such as Java or web technologies, this course will help you to upskill and learn a new programming language.
Furthermore, we will support you to use your new skills in relevant workplace projects. This will ensure that your new knowledge, skills, and behaviours are developed in your everyday setting. As a result, upon completion of this course, you will receive formal validation of real work experience!
No previous knowledge of Python is assumed, although delegates should be familiar with at least one programming language.
Experience of another scripting language, such as Perl or PHP, would be an advantage, as would previous experience of object-oriented programming.
At the end of this course, the learner will be able to
- write short programs using core Python techniques.
- use functions and packages to make Python code modular and reusable.
- use documentation, comments, and consistent code style to make your Python readable.
- write Python programs that use external data sources.
- write Python programs using object-oriented methods.
- use error handling and testing to make your programs robust.
- find and use suitable packages from the Python Standard Library.
- recognise how to install and import external packages.
This course consists of three key learning stages, all explained during a 1-hour virtual kick off session:
- Digital stage - up to 15 hours over a 3 week period
- Live event - 3 days
- Apply stage - up to 3 hours over a 3 month period
- Introduction to Python
- Data types and variables
- Flow control
- String handling
- Data storage and file handling
- Error handling and exceptions
This is a trainer-led virtual Live event, which will take place over three days. At this stage, you will put into practice knowledge of core syntax, OOP, storing and processing data, and interacting with the file system and databases. Next, you will build ‘professional-looking’ scripts, reuse existing modules, and write your own modules and packages.
- Reinforcing core syntax from the Digital stage
- Storing and processing data in collections in memory
- Storing data and objects persistently in files and databases
- Matching data using Regular Expressions
- Writing and call user functions, pass parameters, and return data
- Documenting and testing the performance and quality of your code
- Filtering collections using different techniques including lambda functions and comprehensions
- Writing a generator function to return a lazy list
- Writing scripts and modules professionally
- Importing and reusing modules, understanding namespaces
- Creating a class and understanding the benefits of OOP
- Object instantiation, inheritance, duck typing, and encapsulation
- Creating properties and using decorators
We will support you to create a Python-based application in your workplace. At the end of this Apply activity, you will have attained an approval of your application and QA will formally validate your work experience (which you can add to your CV).
- Creating a Python-based application in the workplace
- Implementing OOP, testing, and coding best practices into the process of app development
- Factoring in source control practices in development
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.