Is managing a technical team the same as managing all teams? No, not always. There are nuances specific to the environment, people and pace that affect what is expected of you when managing a technical team.
Common concerns we hear from those who attend this course include:
- How will I separate being a manager from being an expert?
- How will I get the best out of individuals and produce a high performing technical team?
- What are my strengths and those of my team, and how do I put them to best use?
- How do I deal with the challenges that managing a technical team can bring?
- How do I merge my technical and managerial skills for the greatest impact?
This workshop is based around up to date research about the most frequent challenges encountered by Technical Team managers, including what tech team members need from their managers, such as:
- Meeting the challenges of stepping up into a management role from a tech/specialist background
- Flexing your management style to avoid micro-management and delegate more
- Establishing and maintaining trust
- Understanding and working effectively with the mind-set of technical team members
It’s also a great introduction to the general challenges of management and leadership, supporting you wherever your career may take you.
This workshop uses powerful ideas, activities and specially designed technical team case studies to develop your management and leadership skills, helping you get the best from your technical team. You’ll also have the opportunity to share ideas and experience with technical team managers from other organisations.
It’s divided into 3 and 2 day sessions to help you minimise the impact on your work and to allow you more time to put your learning into practice.
This course is aimed at first and second-line managers who lead technical teams in all kinds of organisations.
You’ll be asked to complete online Strength Deployment Inventory 2.0® and to capture your thoughts on being a technical team manager prior to attending the workshop.
You’ll also be provided with reading, team assessments and reflections around managing technical teams to complete between the first and second parts of the workshop.
- Explore the challenges of managing and leading technical teams, identifying solutions
- Develop greater awareness of ourselves and our team members so that we can improve communication, motivation and performance
- Explore how to handle conflict more effectively
- Examine how teams work and the role of trust in great team working
- Set SMART goals and objectives to create clarity
- Identify how we can flex our leadership style to drive great performance
- Discover how to empower people and delegate successfully
- Tackle challenging feedback and conversations confidently
- Welcome and introductions
- Managing in the technical environment
- Leading and managing technical teams
- Strength Deployment Inventory® 2.0
- Learning review and close
- Strength Deployment Inventory 2.0® continued
- How teams develop
- Technical team case study – developing the team
- Building trust
- Learning review and close
- Team dysfunctions
- Managing by outcomes
- SMART objective and goal setting
- Technical team case study – goal setting
- Learning review, action planning and close
Three week break
- Welcome back
- Review of intra-course reading
- Situational Leadership®
- Motivating your team
- Empowering and developing people through Monkey Management®
- Learning review and close
- Nine steps of delegation
- Levels of delegation
- Instant coaching
- Structuring positive conversations
- Technical team case study – feedback and positive conversations
- Learning review, action planning and course close
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.