Official Oracle Curriculum
This is a second-level course for programmers learning the Java language. It rounds-out the topics that were taught in the previous course, Java SE: Programming I, and provides additional key skills for Java programmers, such as secure coding, modular programming, and database access.
This course uses today's main Java version for its practices (currently Java 11).
- Data Scientist
Delegates will learn how to
- Create Java applications that leverage the object-oriented features of the Java language, such as encapsulation, inheritance, and polymorphism
- Execute a Java application from the command line
- Create applications that use the Java Collections framework
- Search and filter collections using Lambda Expressions
- Implement error-handling techniques using exception handling
- Implement input/output (I/O) functionality to read from and write to data and text files
- Manipulate files, directories and file systems using the JDK NIO.2 specification
- Perform multiple operations on database tables, including creating, reading, updating and deleting using both JDBC and JPA technology
- Use Lambda Expression concurrency features
- Apply modular programming practices and services to applications
- Create high-performing multi-threaded applications
- Functional Interfaces and Lambda Expressions
- Collections Streams, and Filters
- Built-in Functional Interfaces
- Introduction to Modular Programming in Java
- Services in a Modular Application
- Migration to a Modular Application
Streams and Parallel Streams
- Parallel Streams
- Terminal Operations: Collectors
- Creating Custom Streams
Java API Programming and Secure Coding Concepts
- I/O (Fundamentals and NIO2)
- Secure Coding
- Database Applications with JDBC
Collections and Generics
- What is the Collections Framework?
- Type-Wrapper Classes
- What are Generics?
Exception Handling and Assertions
- Error handling
Software Engineering learning paths
Want to boost your career in software engineering? Click on the roles below to see QA's learning pathways, specially designed to give you the skills to succeed.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.