This five-day instructor-led course teaches IT Pros how to deploy and configure Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) in a distributed environment, how to implement Group Policy, how to perform backup and restore, and how to monitor and troubleshoot Active Directory–related issues with Windows Server 2022. Additionally, this course teaches how to deploy other Active Directory server roles such as Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS) and Active Directory Certificate Services (AD CS).
Please note, this course is also applicable for learners using Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server 2019
This course is primarily intended for existing IT professionals who have some AD DS knowledge and experience and who aim to develop knowledge about identity and access technologies in Windows Server 2022. This would typically include:
AD DS administrators who are looking to train in identity and access technologies with Windows Server 2022, 2019 or 2016 or System or infrastructure administrators with general AD DS experience and knowledge who are looking to cross-train in core and advanced identity and access technologies in Windows
Before attending this course, students must have:
- Some exposure to and experience with AD DS concepts and technologies in Windows Server 2016, 2019 or 2022
- Experience working with and configuring Windows Server 2016, 2019 or 20226
- Experience and an understanding of core networking technologies such as IP addressing, name resolution, and Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP).
- Experience working with and an understanding of Microsoft Hyper-V and basic server virtualization concepts.
- An awareness of basic security best practices.
- Hands-on working experience with Windows client operating systems such as Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10.
- Basic experience with the Windows PowerShell command-line interface.
Delegates will learn how to
- Install and configure domain controllers.
- Manage objects in AD DS by using graphical tools and Windows PowerShell.
- Implement AD DS in complex environments.
- Implement AD DS sites, and configure and manage replication.
- Implement and manage Group Policy Objects (GPOs).
- Manage user settings by using GPOs.
- Secure AD DS and user accounts.
- Implement and manage a certificate authority (CA) hierarchy with AD CS.
- Deploy and manage certificates.
- Implement and administer AD FS.
- Implement and administer Active Directory Rights Management Services (AD RMS).
- Implement synchronization between AD DS and Azure AD.
- Monitor, troubleshoot, and establish business continuity for AD DS services.
Module 1 Understanding ADDS and installing domain controllers
This module comprehensively covers all components of AD DS, different methods for installation and considerations for deploying DCs.
- Exercise – Install Active Directory and manage domain controllers
Module 2 Managing ADDS Objects
This module addresses all the different objects an administrator is likely to create and manage, covers the tools that will be used either GUI based, command line and advanced tools. The module concentrates on user objects, group objects and computer objects together with why those objects are necessary.
- Exercise – Create and manage Active Directory objects
Module 3 Multiple Domain Management
This module covers the scenarios for and issues relating to multiple domains, and multiple forests together with creation and management of the trust relationships both within and between forests.
- Exercise – Configure a multiple forest solution with trust relationships
Module 4 Understanding ADDS replication and sites
To address situations where an organisation has multiple locations, this module covers how replication works in AD DS by default and what can be done to control it together with tools that can be used for monitoring AD DS replication.
- Exercise – Create sites and manage ADDS replication
Module 5 Group Policy
This module describes in detail the components of group policy, how group policy works and how to implement a group policy structure. It also describes how to configure settings, preferences and use additional administrative templates.
- Exercise – Implement Group Policy to affect users and computers
Module 6 Active Directory Domain Services Security
In this module, you will learn what options exist to secure domain controllers and the accounts that are authenticated. This includes account security, password security, Group Managed Service Accounts. It also explains the concept of the Read Only Domain Controller as a secure DC installation for a branch office.
- Exercise – Deploy Read-Only Domain Controllers, Password Policies and Group Managed Service Accounts
Module 7 Active Directory Certificate Services
This module describes how to deploy an AD CS solution, the options available for configuration and how to administer and troubleshoot a Certificate Server.
- Exercise – Deploy Active Directory Certificate Services, templates and manage certificate enrollment
Module 8 Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS)
This module describes the concept of Federation and how it works to achieve a single sign on solution in both a single organisation scenario and where there is an application to be accessed in a partner organisation.
- Exercise – Deploy Active Directory Federation Services within a single organisation
Module 9 Understanding and configuring a Hybrid Active Directory with Azure AD
Planning and configuring directory synchronisation for a hybrid active directory is addressed in this module. It describes configuration of Azure AD Connect and the possible authentication options for organisations when they have an on premises AD DS and an Azure AD.
- Exercise – Create a M365 subscription and configure and manage a hybrid Active Directory with Azure AD Connect
Module 10 Managing, monitoring and recovery in ADDS
This final module describes how to monitor, manage and maintain AD DS to ensure a highly available solution, or a solution that can be recovered if necessary. It addresses the tools that can be used, explains AD Snapshots, database management and the recycle bin
- Exercise – Manage the database with NTDSutil, create snapshots and enable the Active Directory Recycle Bin
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.