This 4-day course is an introduction to the HP NonStop SQL/MP database product and serves as a prerequisite to more advanced courses. Hands-on lab sessions provide practical experience with creating databases and generating queries to access the data. The course is 70 percent lecture and 30 percent hands-on labs using HP NonStop servers.
Concept and Facilities for NonStop Systems (U4147S)
- Anyone working with or interested in the HP NonStop SQL/MP product
- Anyone responsible for managing or designing a database or developing embedded SQL programs
Module 1 - Relational Database Definitions
- Flat-file systems and relational database management systems (RDMBS)
- Components of a relational table
- Relational database structure
- Primary and foreign keys in a relational table
- Different types of relationships
- How relationships are formed in a relational database
Module 2 - SQL/MP Physical Architecture
- Characteristics and functions of NonStop SQL/MP objects
- Function and important aspects of each of the objects
Module 3 - NonStop SQL/MP Process Architecture
- Characteristics and functions of NonStop SQL/MP processes
- Function and important aspects of each of the processes
- Overall data flow
Module 4 - NonStop SQL/MP - the SQL Language
Standard types of SQL statements and their functions
Module 5 - NonStop SQL/MP Conversational Interface
- Setting up an SQLCI session
- Standard SQLCI commands
- Ad hoc query processing
Module 6 - Generating Queries for Single Tables
Core syntax, structure, and function of an SQL query
Module 7 - Generating Queries Against Multiple Tables
- Concept of a 'join'
- Simple join examples
- How joining works and how to work through a join
Module 8 - SQL Subqueries
- Concept of a subquery
- Two types of subqueries
- Syntax of subqueries
Module 9 - Creating a NonStop SQL/MP Database
Module 10 - Creating Rows and Loading a NonStop SQL/MP Database
- Referential integrity
- How to use the INSERT statement
- SQL utilities, CONVERT, COPY, and LOA
Module 11 - Modifying Database Data
- Business transactions and Transaction Control Language (TCL) SQL commands
- SQL UPDATE and DELETE commands
- Locking mechanisms
Module 12 - NonStop SQL Management Functions
- Introduction to managing an SQL/MP database
- Syntax to alter or drop a NonStop SQL/MP object
- Impact and considerations to alter or drop SQL objects in the database
- Security issues related to adding, altering, or dropping an SQL object from the database
- Object dependencies
- SQLCI and NonStop kernel utilities
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.