The CompTIA Security+ five course is designed to help you prepare for the SY0-701 exam, which is included in your course.
The CompTIA Security+ exam will certify the successful candidate has the knowledge and skills required to install and configure systems to secure applications, networks, and devices; perform threat analysis and respond with appropriate mitigation techniques; participate in risk mitigation activities; and operate with an awareness of applicable policies, laws, and regulations.
CompTIA Security+ is aimed at IT & security professionals with job roles such as:
- Security Administrator
- Security Specialist
- Systems Administrator
- Help Desk Analyst
- Security Engineer
Networking fundamentals and familiarity with Windows & Linux.
Delegates will learn how to
By the end of the course, you should be able to meet the following objectives:
- Assess the security posture of an enterprise environment and recommend and implement appropriate security solutions.
- Monitor and secure hybrid environments, including cloud, mobile, Internet of Things (IoT), and operational technology.
- Operate with an awareness of applicable regulations and policies, including principles of governance, risk, and compliance.
- Identify, analyse, and respond to security events and incidents.
General Security Concepts 12%
- Compare and contrast various types of security controls.
- Summarise fundamental security concepts.
- Explain the importance of change management processes and the impact to security.
- Explain the importance of using appropriate cryptographic solutions.
Threats, Vulnerabilities & Mitigations 22%
- Compare and contrast common threat actors and motivations.
- Explain common threat vectors and attack surfaces.
- Explain various types of vulnerabilities.
- Given a scenario, analyse indicators of malicious activity.
- Explain the purpose of mitigation techniques used to secure the enterprise.
Security Architecture 18%
- Compare and contrast security implications of different architecture models.
- Given a scenario, apply security principles to secure enterprise infrastructure.
- Compare and contrast concepts and strategies to protect data.
- Explain the importance of resilience and recovery in security architecture.
Security Operations 28%
- Given a scenario, apply common security techniques to computing resources.
- Explain the security implications of proper hardware, software, and data asset management.
- Explain various activities associated with vulnerability management.
- Explain security alerting and monitoring concepts and tools.
- Given a scenario, modify Enterprise capabilities to enhance security.
- Given a scenario, implement and maintain identity and access management.
- Explain the importance of automation and orchestration related to secure operations.
- Explain appropriate incident response activities.
- Given a scenario, use data sources to support an investigation.
Security Program Management & Oversight 20%
- Summarize elements of effective security governance.
- Explain elements of the risk management process.
- Explain the processes associated with third-party risk assessment and management.
- Summarise elements of effective security compliance.
- Explain types and purposes of audits and assessments.
- Given a scenario, implement security awareness practices.
CompTIA Security+ equips security professionals with the foundational security skills necessary to safeguard networks, detect threats, and secure data through performance-based questions—helping them open the door to a cyber security career and become a trusted defender of digital environments.
- Required exam: SY0-701
- Number of questions: Maximum of 90
- Types of questions: Multiple-choice and performance-based
- Length of test: 90 minutes
Recommended experience: A minimum of 2 years of experience in IT administration with a focus on security, hands-on experience with technical information security, and broad knowledge of security concepts.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.