We are seeking a highly motivated and conscientious Apprentice who is interested in working in the Development Team, in our Edinburgh Technology Hub.
This apprenticeship will give successful candidate a practical introduction to the software development life cycle as a Software Engineer in an FTSE 100 investments and savings firm, whilst providing early exposure to a range of technology experiences.
The successful Apprentice will work closely with other workflow engineers to develop new workflows in Sonata - our policy database software. Developing workflows involves building a model to represent a business process such as transferring money from one account to another. You will use visual modelling tools and write code to model the process as accurately as possible and ensure we look after our customers’ investments in a safe and secure manner.
As a Software Engineering Apprentice, you will work in a feature team with other engineers, analysts and testers to gain essential business and technical skills required for this role.
- Identifying and documenting business requirements
- Developing new Sonata (system) workflows and modifying existing ones
- Helping with technical designs for new features
- Working in a cross functional team to deliver features involving several different people (working with technology and business colleagues)
- Actively participating in meetings
- Contributing to and achieving, continuous improvement goals for yourself and your team
- Strong desire to learn and a genuine interest in technology /software development
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal
- High level of accuracy and good attention to detail
- Ability to prioritise and meet deadlines
- Can absorb large amounts of information and use it to determine solutions
- Problem solving way of thinking
- A proactive team player who is confident about working independently
- Logical and analytical approach coupled with intelligence, passion and a drive to learn
- Confident individual with a positive outlook, can-do attitude and aspiration to want to progress
- Self-motivated, capable of building and maintaining relationships and work effectively as part of a team
- Salary: £9.50 p/h
- Personal and professional development
- Competitive salary
- Pension contribution
- Private medical insurance
- 32 days holiday
- Modern flexible workplace policies
Future Career Progression:
- This is a fixed term contract for 18 months upon which the business may decide to retain, subject to the Apprentice performance, headcount and available funding. If recruited into a permanent role, the individual will follow the career progression applicable to the specific role/department.
“QA’s apprenticeship programmes may be funded in part by the European Union through the European Social Fund, which supports the development of employment opportunities and a skilled workforce.”
For more information about QA Apprenticeships, please visit our website. Note: This advert may close early if a suitable candidate is found before the advertised close date is reached.