Our Software Development Technician Level 3 Apprenticeship combines online learning, classroom training and on-the-job experience to develop real world skills in software development.
This apprenticeship empowers the development of digital skills, ensuring apprentices have the technical grounding needed to become a skilled web developer, programmer or coding whizz.
On successful completion of the programme, apprentices gain the following qualifications:
- Software Development Technician Level 3
- BCS Certificate in Systems Development Context and Methodologies
- BCS Certificate in Programming
The entry requirements for this programme are as follows:
- 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) in any subject at grades A-C
- GCSE Maths (or equivalent) at grade A-C
- GCSE English (or equivalent) at grade D or above
- You must not hold an existing qualification at the same or higher level than this apprenticeship in a similar subject
Job role suitability if already in employment:
To help you determine whether a candidate (a new hire or existing employee) will be working in a suitable job role to successfully complete this programme, you must be able to answer “yes” to the following questions.
- Will the apprentice be doing a full time technical role revolving around coding and programming?
- Will the apprentice be working on software development projects and tasks?
- Will the apprentice be actively writing code in at least one programming language?
- Will the apprentice be involved with working with databases and connecting to databases?
- Will the apprentice be involved with basic testing of code?
- Will the apprentice be involved with basic user interface design?
Note: Speak to your QA Account Manager for more advice on eligibility and job role/existing staff suitability for this programme.
Apprentices need tech-enabled apprenticeship programmes that resonate with their day-to-day life. In keeping with this - we have innovated through technology and digital content creation to deliver a digital-by-design approach to blended learning.
High-quality learning content on the go. We deliver “mobile-first” education – this means learning can be accessed anytime, anywhere, on any device
This programme teaches skills in:
- Python, Java and C# fundamentals
- Systems development fundamentals
- SQL and data modelling
- Microservices and Cloud tools
Empowering roles such as:
- Software Development Technician
- Junior Developer
- Junior Web Developer
- Junior Application Developer
- Junior Software Developer
- Junior Application Support Analyst
- Junior Programmer
- Assistant Programmer
- Automated Test Developer
During the programme apprentices will be required to spend 20% of their time at work undertaking off-the-job learning.
The knowledge modules in our Software Development Technician Level 3 apprenticeship introduce the fundamental technical skills your employee needs.
Our face-to-face training workshops and online learning develops the core set of skills in programming, systems and software development they must be able to do well to be competent in their role.
Throughout this programme apprentices will complete:
- Six knowledge modules through a combination of online learning and practical classroom workshops.
- A work-based portfolio showcasing how they’ve demonstrated the skills they’ve learned in real work projects.
- An end-point assessment in the last 2-3 months of the programme – consisting of a synoptic project undertaken in the classroom and an assessment interview.
To ensure all apprentices can do these skills consistently well, we’ve designed modules with the following learning outcomes.
Module 1: Python and SQL Basics
This module introduces learners to Python as their first programming language. Learners will then explore the SQL programming language and basic commands. They will do so by:
- Understand and write Python and SQL commands
- Understand control flow, lists and functions
- Explore debugging techniques
- Explore data and databases
- Collaborating on Github
Module 2: Object Oriented Programming
This module introduces learners to Object Oriented Programming techniques using both Java and C# syntax. Learners will spend their time completing practical labs online and in the classroom. By doing so, they will:
- Java and C# syntax
- Create and used classes
- Abstract classes and interfaces
- Static fields
Module 3: Web Fundamentals
- Write a simple HTML page to display static data
- Use simple CSS to change the look and feel of a page
- Building responsive web applications
- Data Structures
- Programme control
- Learners can explore React.js, Anglular.js and Node.js later
Module 4: Systems Development
In this module learners explore the software development lifecycle including systems design, modelling and specifications.
There will be two exams for the learners to attempt, these are BCS Certificate in Software Development Context and Methodologies and BCS Certificate in Programming. This module will include:
- Software Development Lifecycle
- Software Development Methodologies
- Team Roles and Responsibilities
- Business Context and Market Environment
- Implementing Code
- Integrating Code
- End-User Context
- Data Sources
Module 5: Databases and Coding on the Cloud
This module introduces learners to the concept of Microservices and cloud services. Learners will further explore databases and gain the skills to embed data queries into code. This includes:
- The cloud
- Data Modelling
- Database objects
- SQL Server
Module 6: Consolidate End Point Assessment Preparation (Virtual)
In the last three months of the apprenticeship, learners will focus on preparing for the EPA. They’ll be supported by the Digital Learning Consultant (DLC).
- Submit their portfolio
- Submit the final employer reference
- Complete their synoptic project
- Compete their interview
Our apprenticeship programmes
This apprenticeship programme is part of a wider offering, ranging from Level 3 apprenticeships all the way to Level 7 Masters degrees.