This single course combines the study needed to take both exams connected to the BCS Intermediate and Practitioner Certificates for Enterprise and Solution Architecture.
It reviews the important terms and concepts, and then shows how to put them into practice, particularly in areas such as governance, design of building blocks, modelling techniques to visualise architecture, and building architecture specifications.
This is an intensive and complete course with two main objectives:
- To gain a solid understanding of Enterprise and Solution Architecture terms and practice, and
- To prepare for two exams.
Both lecture and practical case-study sessions are held and mock questions are reviewed throughout. Delegates are provided with a revision programme to help them study in their own time which is followed up by a group review.
- BCS recommend up to six years experience of IS/IT work including contact with architects and architecture descriptions. Delegates are permitted to sit both the Intermediate and Practitioner exam in two consecutive sessions. However a pass in the practitioner exam can only be recognised if the delegate has also passed the Intermediate exam.
- Delegates who are already TOGAF 8 Certified or TOGAF 9 level 2 Certified are regarded as having the pre-requisites to be exempted from the Intermediate exam, and may sit the Practitioner exam only. Delegates will be required to provide a copy of their TOGAF certificate to BCS.
It will be useful if the following documents could be reviewed, available from the BCS Official Website for this qualification:
- The Reference Model: https://www.bcs.org/media/1937/sd-esa-reference-model.pdf
- The Course Syllabus (intermediate): https://www.bcs.org/media/1938/sd-esa-syllabus.pdf
- The Course Syllabus (practitioner): https://www.bcs.org/media/1939/sd-esa-practitioner-syllabus.pdf
- The Practitioner Exam Case Study: https://www.bcs.org/media/6091/sd-esa-case-study.pdf
At the end of this course you will be able to understand, and use in a practical way, the key terms and concepts of systems architecture, including:
- The main roles and goals of architecture
- An explanation of both Enterprise and Solution context and architecture
- Architecture governance
- Techniques for describing architecture
- An awareness of the most useful frameworks
- Architecture Processes
- The use of business, data, application and infrastructure components
- Planning the implementation of architecture
- Definitions of Architect and Architecture
- The Enterprise context and architecture
- Group exercise
- Business Architecture
- The Solution Context
- Group exercise
- Applications Architecture
- Data Architecture
- Group exercise
- Software Architecture
- Infrastructure Architecture
- Group exercise
- Architecture Implementation
- Architecture Frameworks
- BCS Intermediate Certificate in Enterprise and Solution Architecture
- BCS Practitioner Certificate in Enterprise and Solution Architecture
All BCS Enterprise and Solution Architecture exams will now be provided to delegates online. Delegates will be contacted by BCS to enable a time for their exam to be arranged – the exams will not be conducted during the course. All exams are closed book. Delegates doing the Practitioner exam are allowed to use a paper copy (which they must print out) of the Case Study scenario during the exam. Full details of the Practitioner Exam are available by clicking HERE.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.