This three-day instructor led course will provide delegates with the knowledge and skills to deploy and administer Microsoft 365 Defender to protect against cyber threats. Delegates will learn how to configure security across messaging and collaboration tools, devices, identities and applications. They will also learn how to use the service to detect possible ongoing attacks and block them
This course was designed for people who work in a security administrator job role or a general purpose administrator role with a responsibility to ensure that their Microsoft 365 environment is secure
Instructors will demonstrate features throughout the event. Optional Lab exercises are available for students to complete within a delegate created free trial tenancy. Microsoft may require a valid credit card to create 30 day free tenancies which must be cancelled within 30 days to avoid incurring charges. QA have no control over the Microsoft 365 trial tenancy signup or billing process.
- An understanding of core technical concepts, including DNS, Networking, Identities, and software deployment methods
- An understanding of common security threats and attacks such as malware, phishing, ransomware and software exploits
- Experience with Microsoft 365 components including Azure Active Directory, Exchange, Teams, OneDrive and SharePoint
- Experience with managing Active Directory Domain Services, Group Policy and Windows clients
Instructors will demonstrate features throughout the event. Optional Lab exercises are available for students to complete within a free commercial Microsoft 365 tenancy provided free of charge for each student by QA. This tenancy lasts for 30 days but can be extended free of charge for another 30 days.
Delegates will learn how to
- How to license the services and navigate the Microsoft 365 Defender portal
- How to configure Defender for Office 365 capabilities to protect messaging and collaboration services against threats such as malware or phishing
- How to deploy Defender for Endpoint to devices, and protect them against threats such as malware, ransomware and software exploits
- How to deploy Defender for Identity to an on-premises Active Directory to protect it from threats against identities, such as stealing credentials and gaining admin control of the domain
- How to implement threat detection policies in Defender for Cloud Apps to provide alerts on unusual application behaviours which are often indicators of an attack
- How to investigate security incidents using the Microsoft 365 Defender portal and use remediation actions to block the attack
- Course outline
LP1 - Overview of Microsoft 365 Defender
Cyber security attacks
- Zero Trust model
- MITRE ATT&CK framework
- Example attack chain
Microsoft 365 Defender services
- Services overview
- License requirements
- Microsoft Secure Score
LP2 - Configuring Defender for Office 365
Threats and protection
- Protection against known threats
- Email authentication to prevent spoofing
- Protection against unknown threats
Defender for Office 365 policies
- Policies and recommended settings
- Managing the quarantine
- Advanced delivery policies
Attack simulation training
- Types of simulation
- Create and run a simulation
LP3 - Deploying and configuring Defender for Endpoint
Exploring the service
- Defender Vulnerability Management
- General settings
- Next-generation protection
- Attack surface reduction
LP4 - Deploying Defender for Identity
Deploying the sensor
- Creating the service accounts
- Installing the sensor
- Entity tags
Identity security posture
- Securing accounts
- Securing authentication protocols
LP5 - Configuring Defender for Cloud Apps
Connecting to apps and logs
- Connecting to Office 365
- Cloud Discovery
- Admin roles
Threat detection policies
- Importing user groups
- Creating policies
LP6 - Investigating and responding to threats
Responding to incidents
- Managing incidents
- Automated investigation and response
- Creating queries
- Kusto query language (KQL)
Microsoft 365 learning pathways
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.