PMI research indicates that many project management qualifications do not reflect the practices and techniques being used by present day, entry-level project staff. The Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM®) course has been designed to better align with the market needs of project professionals and reflect how project team members work on projects. Today’s projects require leaders and team members who understand a variety of project management approaches - and know when and how to apply them on projects.
In this course, you will apply the recognized practices of project management as defined by the Project Management Institute (PMI®) to successfully manage and participate effectively in projects. This highly interactive 3-day course explains how projects can be managed across the four exam domains defined by PMI.
- Project Management Fundamentals and Core Concepts
- Predictive, Plan-Based Methodologies
- Agile Frameworks and Methodologies
- Business Analysis Frameworks
We help you to not only understand the PMI framework, but also apply and tailor it for your projects. The core course materials have been authored by PMI, so you can be assured that they are directly aligned to the Exam Content Outline (ECO) and the CAPM® Exam.
Note: PMI states that successful candidates typically spend one to two months studying for the CAPM exam – this course provides an excellent foundation for your personal study.
What Can a CAPM Credential Do for You?
Project professionals who have recognised skills and experience can find exciting, highly visible opportunities across a wide range of fields. This course is designed to provide you with proven, practical, knowledge and skills that are essential for the effective management of projects. The skills and knowledge you gain will help you avoid costly mistakes and increase your competitive edge in the project management profession.
CAPM® credential holders:
- Hold a globally recognized project management qualification
- Build a solid foundation for future project management development
- Develop the language and skills across wide range of project management concepts
- Have satisfied the ‘education requirement’ for undertaking PMI’s PMP® exam
Your pre-course learning provides full details of the assets that are available to QA’s CAPM candidates. Learners will be provided with access to the PMI Authorized CAPM® Exam Prep digital learning materials on the PMI CHOICE platform.
Your course fee includes 12 months’ membership to PMI and a CAPM® exam voucher. Your PMI membership provides digital access to some of the core texts that the Exam Content Outline (ECO) is based on including:
- A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, PMBOK® Guide Seventh Edition
- Agile Practice Guide
- Process Groups: A Practice Guide
Please redeem this membership and have your personal copy of these publications ready for the start of your course.
Our expert trainers explain the CAPM® concepts through a wide range of individual and group exercises, case-study application, and learning ‘games’.
CAPM® is designed for entry-level project management roles like project coordinator, associate and junior project manager, and project team members. The full list of prerequisites for undertaking the examination and the application process can be found atwww.pmi.org.
The pre-requisites for the CAPM® exam are:
- High-school diploma - and
- 23 hours of formal project management education
Learners who apply after course attendance will meet PMI's requirement for 23 hours of accredited project management training before being accepted for the exam.
Learners are provided with a QA Study Guide as well as interactive, online content which introduces the PMI processes, knowledge areas and process groups. The full list of bite-sized activities in your pre-course learning may take up to ten hours to complete. Completing your pre-course learning will ensure you get the most from the course and have the best chance of passing the examination.
The Exam Content Outline details each of the project management tasks that are relevant for each exam domain. The course is structured to align with the official PMI-CAPM® learner materials which consist of individual lessons that cover all tasks listed in the ECO.
- Project Management Fundamentals and Core Concepts – we demonstrate an understanding of the various project life cycles and approaches before explaining the roles and responsibilities associated with a project’s management and delivery.
- Predictive, Plan-Based Methodologies – we explain when it is appropriate to use a traditional, linear approach for project delivery, focusing on how this type of project is planned, executed, and controlled.
- Agile Frameworks and Methodologies – Agile is an iterative, incremental approach to project delivery and adopts a more flexible and responsive style. This session looks at various agile methodologies and when each might be appropriate for use.
- Business Analysis Frameworks – Effective capture and analysis of project requirements are the foundation of any successful project. This module explains techniques that are used to gather and validate requirements and create a sensible product roadmap. We also explain the roles involved in this activity.
Project Management Fundamentals and Core Concepts
- Life cycles and processes
- Roles and responsibilities
- Follow and execute planned strategies or frameworks
- Common problem-solving tools and techniques
Predictive, Plan-Based Methodologies
- Using a predictive, plan-based approach
- Project management plan schedule
- Project controls of predictive, plan- based projects
Agile Frameworks / Methodologies
- Using an adaptive approach
- How to plan project iterations
- Project controls for an adaptive project
- Components of an adaptive plan
- Prepare and execute task management steps
Business Analysis Frameworks
- Business analysis (BA) roles and responsibilities
- Conducting stakeholder communication
- Gathering requirements
- Product roadmaps
- How project methodologies influence business analysis processes
- Validate requirements through product delivery
You will receive a CAPM® voucher to redeem. Your exam is not part of your course, and you must apply for and arrange the exam directly with the PMI. The exam typically takes place via online proctored testing within your own home or workplace but can also be taken at a designated PMI-approved test centre.
Full details of the 150-question, 180 minutes’ exam, and the application process can be found atwww.pmi.org.
PMI®, CAPM®, PMBOK®, and PMP® are all marks of Project Management Institute, Inc.
Project Management learning paths
Want to boost your career in project management? Click on the roles below to see QA's learning pathways, specially designed to give you the skills to succeed.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.