Your ability as a project manager to demonstrate best practice in project management—both on-the-job and through professional certification—has become the gold-standard to operate in today’s fast-paced and dynamic workplace. If you are taking this course, you already have a minimum of three years’ demonstrable experience in professional project management.
In this course, you will apply the recognized practices of project management as defined by the Project Management Institute (PMI)® to successfully manage projects. This highly interactive 5-day course explains how projects can be managed across the three exam domains defined by PMI.
- People: emphasizing the interpersonal skills you need to effectively lead a project team
- Process: reinforcing the technical aspects of managing projects
- Business Environment: highlighting the connection between projects and organizational strategy
The PMP exam incorporates questions on predictive, agile and hybrid delivery approaches and there is approximately a 50/50 split between “traditional” and “agile” approaches.
We help you to not only understand the PMI framework, but also apply and tailor it for your projects. The core course materials have been authored by PMI, so you can be assured that they are directly aligned to the Exam Content Outline (ECO) and the PMP Exam.
Note: PMI states that successful candidates typically spend two to three months studying for the PMP exam – this course provides an excellent foundation for your personal study.
What Can a PMP Credential Do for You?
Project managers who have recognised skills and experience can find exciting, highly visible opportunities across a wide range of fields. This PMP exam-focused course is designed to provide you with proven, practical, knowledge and skills that are essential for the effective management of projects. The skills and knowledge you gain will help you avoid costly mistakes and increase your competitive edge in the project management profession.
According to PMI (source www.pmi.org):
- CIO magazine regards the PMP as the global gold standard for project management certification because it demonstrates an ability to perform at the highest level in desirable skill areas
- The median salary for project professionals is 14% higher in Europe (and 16% higher globally) than those without it
Your pre-course learning provides full details of the assets that are available to QA’s PMP candidates. Learners will be provided with access to the PMI Authorized PMP Exam Prep digital learning materials on the PMI CHOICE platform.
Your course fee includes 12 months’ membership to PMI and a PMP exam voucher. Your PMI membership provides digital access to some of the core texts that the Exam Content Outline (ECO) is based on including:
- A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, PMBOK® Guide Seventh Edition
- Agile Practice Guide
- Process Groups: A Practice Guide
Please redeem this membership and have your personal copy of these publications ready for the start of your course.
Supplementary course materials have been designed by award winning instructional designers to ensure that the course provides an interactive and engaging introduction to the PMI approach. Our expert trainers explain the framework through a wide range of individual and group exercises, case-study application, and learning ‘games’. As a Premier Authorised Training Partner, after your course we also offer online access to practice exam questions that have been authored by PMI. These practice questions cover each of the three exam domains.
The target audience for PMP certification is detailed below and the full list of prerequisites for undertaking the examination and the application process can be found at www.pmi.org. Learners who apply after course attendance will meet PMI's requirement for 35 hours of accredited PMP training before being accepted for the exam.
Learners are provided with a QA PMP Study Guide as well as interactive, online content which introduces the PMI processes, knowledge areas and process groups. The full list of bite-sized activities in your pre-course learning may take up to fifteen hours to complete. Completing your pre-course learning will ensure you get the most from the course and have the best chance of passing the examination.
This course is designed for individuals who have a minimum of three to five years on-the-job experience in leading projects. To be eligible for the PMP exam, please make sure you meet one of the following sets of PMP certification requirements:
- Four-Year Degree
- 36 months of experience leading projects within the past eight years
- 35 hours of project management education/training or Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM®) certification
- High School Diploma or Associates Degree
- 60 months of experience leading projects within the past eight years
- 35 hours of project management education/training or CAPM certification
It is your responsibility to ensure you meet one of the above requirements. If you are ineligible, you may want to consider the CAPM.
The Exam Content Outline details each of the project management tasks that are relevant for each exam domain. The course is structured to align with the official PMI-PMP learner materials which consist of six individual lessons that cover all tasks listed in the ECO.
- Business Environment – We analyze the environment within which projects are initiated and executed including the organizational constraints, project purpose and business expectations. This lesson also considers how a project will be governed.
- Starting the Project – We look at why the project was selected and how it impacts the relevant stakeholders. Lesson-2 also investigates predictive, adaptive, and hybrid project delivery approaches.
- Plan the Project – This lesson covers how to define the scope, schedule, budget, quality, and risk associated with the project and the need to capture all this information in the project management plan.
- Lead the Team – Lesson-4 explains the essential interpersonal skills that will help the project manager build, develop, and empower the project team.
- Support the Project Team – The project manager must measure the output of the team and provide the feedback necessary for the continuous improvement of team member performance.
- Closing the Project/Phase – The final lesson describes how the project manager can formally bring each phase (or the project as a whole) to an orderly conclusion, and measure that the benefits are on track for achievement. We also stress the importance of capturing and sharing project lessons across the wider organization.
Detailed content for each lesson includes:
- Strategic alignment
- Project benefits and value
- Organizational culture and change management
- Project governance
- Project compliance
Starting the Project
- Identify and engage stakeholders
- Team formation
- Build shared understanding
- Decide project approach / methodology
Plan the Project
- Planning projects
- Integrate plans
Lead the Team
- Craft your leadership style
- Create a collaborative team environment
- Empower the team
- Support team member performance
- Communicate and collaborate with stakeholders
- Train team members and stakeholders
- Manage conflict
Support the Project Team
- Implement ongoing improvements
- Support performance
- Evaluate project progress
- Manage issues and impediments
- Manage changes
Closing the Project/Phase
- Project / phase closure
- Benefits realization
- Knowledge transfer
Throughout the course, you will participate in Q&A sessions that will help consolidate your learning and ensure a solid foundation for further personal PMP examination preparation.
You will receive a PMP voucher to redeem. Your exam is not part of your course, and you must apply for and arrange the exam directly with the PMI. The exam typically takes place via online proctored testing within your own home or workplace but can also be taken at a designated PMI-approved test centre.
Full details of the 180-question, 230 minutes’ exam, and the application process can be found at www.pmi.org.
PMI®, PMBOK® and PMP® are all marks of Project Management Institute, Inc.
Project Management learning paths
Want to boost your career in project management? Click on the roles below to see QA's learning pathways, specially designed to give you the skills to succeed.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.