In this hands-on instructor led course, you will learn about the Google Sheets app to an advanced level.
Following the course, delegates will be confident in analysing and manipulating their data in Google sheets using various advanced formulas and functions. You will cover more advanced sheets functionality like conditional formatting, data validation and sheet protection. This course builds on the knowledge from the intermediate Google sheets course (QAGSITM).
- This course is aimed at users who wish to enhance their knowledge and skills in Google sheets to an advance level. Delegates should have attended QA's Google Sheets Intermediate course or have equivalent knowledge.
- This course is suitable for users of Google Workspace. If you're attending at a QA location, the course will be delivered on Google Chrome.
- Competent IT user
- Experience in web browsing
- Must have attended the Google sheets intermediate course (QAGSITM) or have the equivalent knowledge
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Google sheets or Excel spreadsheets
Dual monitor setup is required for when attending this course via the QA Attend from Anywhere delivery method.
- Use macros to automate processes in Google Sheets
- Use conditional formatting to change the appearance of a Google sheet
- Utilise data validation to restrict user entry within a Google sheet
- Protect a Google sheet whilst allowing certain cells to remain editable
- Share a Google sheet
- Use advanced Date & Time, Logical, Lookup functions to analyse data
- Understand and use Array formulas
- Work with Sparklines
- Use the Google Import & Export functions
- Use Google specific functions to analyse data
Module 1 - Automating Tasks in Sheets with Macros
- What is a Macro
- Record Macros
- Comparing Relative and Absolute Macros
- Running a Macro
- Edit or Delete a Macro
Module 2 - Formatting Cells with Conditional Formatting
- Add Conditional Formatting to a Range of Cells
- Add Multiple Conditional Formats
- Apply a Conditional Format with Colour Scales
- Apply Conditional Format with Formulas
Module 3 - Use Data Validation to Restrict User Entry
- Restrict User Entry with Numbers
- Restrict User Entry with Text
- Dropdown List Validation
- Creating Dynamic Validation Lists
Module 4 - Google Sheet Protection and Sharing
- Protecting a Cell Range
- Protecting a Google Sheet
- Applying an Editable Range to a Protected Sheet
- Share a Protected Sheet with a Colleague
Module 5 - Advanced Formulas and Functions
- Date and Time Functions
- Logical Functions
- Lookup Functions
- Array Formulas in Sheets
Module 6 - Working with Sparklines
- What are Sparklines
- Insert Sparklines into a Google Sheet
- Change Sparkline Options
Module 7 - Importing and Exporting
- Importing a Range of Data from another Google Sheet
- Importing Data from a Web Page
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.