This 4-day course is a complete guide to building scalable web applications using Facebook’s popular ReactJS library, leveraging the power of a virtual DOM to create fast, fluid UIs.
An overview of the library is given and then a small application is developed using the ‘Thinking in React’ steps recommended by Facebook. Learners will be able to create components to create static versions of applications. Using Props, State (using Hooks) and inverse data flow, a fully functioning application will be created. Techniques to use external data sources is explored, along with relevant lifecycle hooks. Creating a single page application through the use of routing is covered. Finally, state management tools such as Context and Reducers are introduced as a way of handling application data in large scale applications.
Delivery is through instructor-led explanations and short follow-up exercises that allow learners to experiment with code. A practical agile-style project is included for learners to complete, either as a collaborative group or individually.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Create React Components
- Perform some simple tests
- Think in React
- Add state and props to an application
- Add inverse data flow to an application
- Use some common React Hooks
- Use external services to provide data
- Set up a single page application
- Use Context and Reducers
- To become aware of what React is
- To be aware of developer tools available for React
- To be able to set up the developer environment and a skeleton React application
- To be aware of the security concerns with React
Components and JSX
- To understand what components are
- To know what JSX is and why it is used in React JS
- To be able to create Functional and Class Components
- To be able to add multiple components
- To know how to inspect components in the Browser
- To understand how the in-browser tools work
Introduction to Testing with Jest
- To understand how tests are set up and run in a create-react-app React application
- To have an overview of the Jest testing library
- To be able to run and access code-coverage reports for tests
Thinking in React – Parts 1 and 2 – Component Hierarchy and Static Versions
- To understand the development methodology suggested for React applications
- To be able to identify the component hierarchy for a given application
- To be able to build a static version of an application
- Understand how to use Props in components
- To be able to test Component snapshots and Components with props
- To be able to Mock components when testing
Thinking in React – Parts 3 and 4 – Identifying and Adding State
- To be able to identify State in an application and add it to the appropriate component
- To be able to work with Form data within the application
Thinking in React – Part 5 – Inverse Data Flow
- To be able to use inverse data flow in applications
Software Engineering learning paths
Want to boost your career in software engineering? Click on the roles below to see QA's learning pathways, specially designed to give you the skills to succeed.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.